A question about Showtime

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Packman, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Robert Packman

Robert Packman Auditioning

Hello: This is my first post,as I just started getting High-def last week.I have a Echostar(dish)6000 for Hi-def and Direct TV for the rest(due to my location,thats how i can get HDTV due to the elevation angles of the sats..)Anyway, the Demo channel is great HBO for the most part fills the 16x9 screen but showtime seems to be letterboxed and actually looks curved on the top and bottom(like the old cinerama) that is how their sample looks on the demo channel also..Can someone explain the general rules what is upconverted and what is shown in 1080 and will fill the 16x9 screen without cutoffs on the top or sides..Thanks

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Generally speaking, HBO tends to fill your 16:9 set, while Showtime preserves the OAR whether it be 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 giving black bars on the movies with 2.35:1 aspect ratios. This is what we all want - the preservation of the original OAR. You can go to Showtime's site and determine what is an upconvert and what is true HD. Click on the SHO-HDTV link at the top of the page.
    http://sho.com/schedules/