A question about "Show Me Love"("F--king Amal") DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay E, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

May 30, 2000
    I just received this DVD after many months of back-order waiting and I noticed that the transfer is extremely grainy & washed out.
    I wanted to know if this was the way the film was originaly shown in theaters, or did Strand Releasing just release a bad looking DVD.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
  2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Jul 24, 2000
    I haven't seen the DVD, only the VHS, but the film was shot in a very grainy, rough style. I don't think there is anything wrong with the DVD, from your description.
    Are there any extras on the DVD?
    Great movie, by the way!
  3. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Oct 12, 1999
    I think the movie was filmed in 16mm, and also used a lot of natural lightning.
    How much of an artistic or stylistically choice this was can probably be discussed, as economics probably set a lot of restrictions to the film stick used etc.
    This is one of the few movies I have seen in the theaters in which I immediately noticed the picture quality to be grainy, so the grain is definitively part of the picture. I haven't seen the US DVD, but the Norwegian R2 is also grainy, and replicates the overall look of the theatrical presentation well, so I would not worry to much anyway.
    And I agree, this is a great movie. As a youngster, I used to avoid all Scandinavian movies as a rule, but during the last ten years or so Scandinavian movies have improved greatly. Fucking Åmål is one of the best.
    Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
    "You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
    Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
    DVD List LD List