A question about Seven Samurai

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Randolph, Jul 20, 2002.

1. John Randolph

John Randolph Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen the movie, but I read that Heihatchi dies

My question is....when does that happen in the story? Is it in the beginning, middle, or end? Also, is it the "biggest" event in the story?

Thanks for your help.

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Go and buy this movie and see for yourself what a great movie this is.
    [​IMG]

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

John,

If I remember correctly it happens about 2/3 through, give or take a little. It is also not the "biggest" event in the story. It's a long movie but very well worth the watch. It's a pricey DVD but I don't regret my purchase one bit.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I watched this for the first time a couple of months ago. Absolutely gorgeous movie, with some of the most memorable and realistic characters I have seen. Too bad I can't remember their names :b

My favorite scenes are the gathering around the table/food/fire where a joke ellicits thunderous laughter from the guys.

I will now rent Magnificent Seven to see how it compares - it's been ages since I saw it.

--
    Holadem

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

IMO, it's cool but doesn't have half the depth and life that 7 Sam does. It is interesting to be able to watch the 2 films close together though.

6. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Stunt Coordinator

I watched 7 samurai again about a month ago, and just this week finally saw the magnificient seven. I have to agree with the above posts that the magnificient seven just doesn't have the depth that 7 samurai had. I was really annoyed at the first hour of magnificient seven as it was basically scene for scene the same as 7 samurai. I liked the second hour alot more as there was more deviation from 7 samurai plot. I guess this is what I was hoping for more of, less of a remake and more use of the general story outline. And the endings really don't compare IMHO.
    The magnifcient seven's quick look at the boys putting flowers on the graves and the remaining gunfighers leaving was such a let down from the final scene in 7 samurai of the four graves with their swords across the screen

I also rolled my eyes when in the magnficient seven,
    the "hero" got the girl at the end, unlike 7 samurai...typical hollywood...

7. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

It's been many, many years since I've watched the Magnificent Seven but for some reason some of the music sounded like it was taken right out of Seven Samurai. Has it been too long since I've watched it or did any of you notice this as well?

8. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I saw them both during the same week, Kurosawa first. The Magnificent 7 were so flat and lifeless and they each seemed like a different western cliche. I didn't care about them the way I cared about the samurai. And the story was also so...blah. Its a wonderful, timeless masterpiece compared to a hollow cliche filled imitation. In my opinion.

jeremy

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I just watched it (Seven Samurai) for the first time last night, and I'm still beating myself over the head for not seeing it sooner. Definitely one of the finest films I've ever seen.