A question about Scott Smith's novel, "The Ruins" (spoilers)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
This thread assumes you have already have read the novel.

Overall, I liked the novel in terms of being a good quick suspenseful read, and even though the characters weren't leaving me much to root for from an emotional standpoint, I thought they were perhaps more realistic than if they'd been TOO likeable. Overall I'd say this wasn't as good as "A Simple Plan" but worthy of a read.

But one thing has really bugged me about "The Ruins"...

When Eric descends into the shaft, he notices a tunnel going off to the side, with tracks. However, he never mentions this to the others as a possible way of escape. At first I thought it was the distraction of Pablo's injuries, so I just kept waiting for this to come up. However, Eric never mentions the tunnel. Why not? Did I miss something here? Why not at least explore it?

If anyone has read this book and has any theories, please share!

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Didn't they find out that it was a trap that the "plant" set for people? He did eventually go down a shaft looking for the "cell phone" but realized that what they were walking on was the plant and there was a pit below them with bones of past victims. Or are you talking about a different shaft?

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Yes, but I'm talking about when Eric was on his way down into the shaft, he saw another tunnel going off to the side, about halfway down. All they did was go to the bottom, but they never explored this side tunnel.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23