A Question about Receiver being used as a Prepro..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by NickSP, Sep 3, 2003.

1. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

When using the receiver as a prepro, what should be connected to the speaker terminals? I ask this because I read somewhere that there is some resistor type of attachment that goes into the speaker terminals and I don't remember exactly what that was. Anyone with an idea about what that is and how/where can I buy it?

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Nothing of which I am aware, although I wouldn't be surprised if you read somewhere that there should be something connected to them (claims of stray E&M affecting the system, who knows what else?). OTOH, one never knows all of the implementations out there (so check the lit associated with anything you buy), but I think air has a high enough resistance to minimize current flow out of the terminals [​IMG] .

Doug

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I've been running receivers as pre-pros for years (with great results BTW) and have never hooked anything up to the unused speaker terminals. Along with my own experience, the owners manuals for these units have never mentioned using any kind of "bypass" resistors. (The units I have used have been Yamaha and Denon.)

So, I feel very comfortable in saying that no, you do not want to connect anything to the receiver's speaker terminals. It seems to me that if you do, you would be placing a load on them, which could, at least to some extent, then force the amplifier to start working. Which is exactly what you don't want...

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Thanks Doug and Chuck, it makes sense. [​IMG]