What's new

A question about rear speakers for 5.1 (1 Viewer)

Trent Moloney

Auditioning
My question is that. Are surround speakers designed differently from front speakers? And what would the penalty be for using front bookshelf speakers as rear speakers?

I ask this as even though I have a 5.1 setup 90% of its time it is playing TV (no surrond use) or playing CD-audio (all speakers treated the same). I am worried about putting two small rear speakers there as when I turn up the volume for a CD I might kill them.

This is my first post here so I will take some time to introduce you to my setup.

Onkyo 494 receiver
Audioline AL 600 front speakers
DTX 5.5C center
no rears ATM
no Sub ATM

The Audioline fronts have 10" drivers so the lack of bass from not having a sub is covered but I do plan on getting something better eventually.

Oh If you have a recommendation for a set of rears then my budget is $400-$500 AUS or about $200-$250 US. My choice of music is Funk Rock Pop.

Thanks for your help

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I don't know anything about your Audiolines, but if you like them get two more. Ideally 5 identical speakers is the way to go.
BTW do a search and you will find a ton of info.;)

Trent Moloney

Auditioning
I did a forum search but I came up empty handed.

Audioline is very low quality Australian brand. They do the job but they will be replaced after I get rear and sub speakers. Sorry but I can not have the audiolines as rear speakers.

They are stubby little floor standers that come half way up my thigh.

I was thinking of a set of these DB dynamics speakers I saw in a retailer here. But they did not have a visible model number on them. I have had a look on their web site and found that the one's I was looking at are called 'Titans'. I hear the name titans tossed around a lot so are they the titans that you are talking about or something differant.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I think the Titans that get talked about here are made by Paradigm. A very highly regarded Canadian company, another being PSB.

Trent Moloney

Auditioning
But are 'Titans' a generic design produced by a lot of manufactures or is this just coinsidence.

Also what are DB Dynamics like in general (I know it's subjective) are they a good manufacturer or are they a kind of 'no name' brand. Here in Australia they used to be can Wherfedale (not sure about the spelling).

If you have a pair of speakers from this brand, do you think that they suit Rock, Funk. ie Linkin Park, Jamiroquai.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks