What's new

A QUESTION ABOUT QUALITY LASER-TO-DVD TRANSFERS..>if there is a means of getting fairly de (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Is there is a means of getting fairly decent backup copies of laser dics by going directly from laser disc player into a computer and, if so, what software and connections are required? I have a number of films I copied years ago made by going from laser player to an outboard DVD recorder (in order to get rare commentary tracks, primarily), but of course the compression is terrible and the results just this side of unwatchable.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hi Dick,

I haven't done this with a Laserdisc as I never had that format, but did for some VHS and Hi8 camcorder tapes.

There are a few options. One would be to do them again using an outboard DVD recorded as you did before, but with the quality settings higher. To get the very best out of the laserdiscs, on a single layer DVD, you should go with the setting that limits it to only 60 minutes -- that will record at a constant high bitrate that's as good as it's going to get. From my experience, anything you do on a computer will equal but not exceed that.

If you're using a computer, you can get an external conversion box, something like the Grass Valley ADVC110 (that's what I have -- I have their older model back when it was called the Canopus ADVC100, but it's basically the same thing) -- you plug your LD player outputs into the box, and then the box connects via Firewire to your computer. If you don't have a Firewire card on your computer, I think they're fairly inexpensive these days.

I've been a Mac user for the past decade - for a project like this, the built in iMovie software can then capture the video as you play it out, and you can then use the built in iDVD software to compress the raw video into DVD format. I haven't done this on a PC in forever, but there are various DVD burning software programs out there. Something basic should work, you don't need any advanced editing programs because you're not planning on doing any editing. The compression takes a lot of time, though, and you'll still get better results if you keep the content to an hour or under per disc -- however, the advantage to doing it on a computer is that you can adjust the compression and get something you might find watchable on one disc instead of two or three.

Hope this helps and apologies for being a little vague on the PC side -- it's been a while.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Perhaps it's time for a new thread of films on LD not on DVD/BD?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I have some "LD to DVD-R" stuff (e.g. Criterion's Bond audio commentaries etc), but I have to admit that I've never done the actual process myself.People should save some of these gems. LD players don't last forever (well, or perhaps they will).

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Josh Steinberg said:
Hi Dick,

I haven't done this with a Laserdisc as I never had that format, but did for some VHS and Hi8 camcorder tapes.

There are a few options. One would be to do them again using an outboard DVD recorded as you did before, but with the quality settings higher. To get the very best out of the laserdiscs, on a single layer DVD, you should go with the setting that limits it to only 60 minutes -- that will record at a constant high bitrate that's as good as it's going to get. From my experience, anything you do on a computer will equal but not exceed that.

If you're using a computer, you can get an external conversion box, something like the Grass Valley ADVC110 (that's what I have -- I have their older model back when it was called the Canopus ADVC100, but it's basically the same thing) -- you plug your LD player outputs into the box, and then the box connects via Firewire to your computer. If you don't have a Firewire card on your computer, I think they're fairly inexpensive these days.

I've been a Mac user for the past decade - for a project like this, the built in iMovie software can then capture the video as you play it out, and you can then use the built in iDVD software to compress the raw video into DVD format. I haven't done this on a PC in forever, but there are various DVD burning software programs out there. Something basic should work, you don't need any advanced editing programs because you're not planning on doing any editing. The compression takes a lot of time, though, and you'll still get better results if you keep the content to an hour or under per disc -- however, the advantage to doing it on a computer is that you can adjust the compression and get something you might find watchable on one disc instead of two or three.

Hope this helps and apologies for being a little vague on the PC side -- it's been a while.
I made a DVD from the letterboxed "One Eyed Jacks" LD, which probably looks better than the bootleg stuff out there (the film is public domain). I captured into the Sony Vegas program and made a high bitrate dual-layer DVD of the 141 minute film. I made it for my friend who is a big Brando/One Eyed Jacks fan.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I tend to stay away from the dual-layer DVD-Rs… it's probably needlessly paranoid, but I worry about the long-term failure rate on those compared to single layer burned discs.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Josh Steinberg said:
I tend to stay away from the dual-layer DVD-Rs… it's probably needlessly paranoid, but I worry about the long-term failure rate on those compared to single layer burned discs.
I have used plenty of of Verbatim DL DVD+R discs in my videography work and they have been excellent with no problems. I burn them at the slowest speed I can and never use any paper labels. No customer has ever returned with an issue. I always use DVD-R for SL, DVD+R for DL.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
John Hermes said:
I have used plenty of of Verbatim DL DVD+R discs in my videography work and they have been excellent with no problems. I burn them at the slowest speed I can and never use any paper labels. No customer has ever returned with an issue. I always use DVD-R for SL, DVD+R for DL.
Next time I have an occasion to give DL discs a try, I'll look for that specific brand - thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks