A Question About PS 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ivan Berisic, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Ivan Berisic

Ivan Berisic Stunt Coordinator

I bought PlayStation 2 yesterday. Anyway, my question is - is the ventilating system supposed to be so loud? When I got the console and started it for the first time, I'm pretty sure the vent. system was barely audible. What do you think?

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Most that I've heard are fairly loud. They kind of sound like a power amp or a computer.

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

The one that I bought a few weeks ago is fairly noisy. But once I start playing the game, I don't notice it at all. It makes about the same amount of noise as my Gamecube.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

My GameCube and PS2 make more noise spinning the disc than they do running their fans. Either way, the game gets all my attention eventually.

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

If you do the ocassionally dusting of the air vents with some spurts of compressed air, you may notice a slight drop in loudness. Unless it was a placebo effect, I could swear this worked for me.

-j

6. Ivan Berisic

OK, another question - why are the discs with multi-colored bottom sides (mostly blue) much louder than the normal silver ones?

Also, I just got Grand Theft Auto 3 and I noticed that the game doesn't run as smooth as my other PS2 games. Is it possible that it's because the disc is kinda dirty? I'm gonna buy those CD/DVD cleaning cloths today and clean the disc.

7. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Ivan, the blue discs are cds, not dvds, and in general, are more noisy during playback. I don't know why, maybe it has something to do with the way the laser pickup tracks them?

GTA3 is kind of choppy at times, but don't forget, there's a lot going on here. There's lots of action on screen and your drive is constantly streaming audio at the same time. The PS2 may not be working overtime, but your drive mechanism certainly is...

Gary

8. Ivan Berisic

Gary, thanks for your reply. I know the blue discs are CDs.
    As for GTA3, isn't it a fantastic game? I just can't stop playing it.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

See the GTA3 thread in Software.