What's new

A question about "Movie Movie" (1978) (1 Viewer)

Howard Tom

Agent
Real Name
Howard Tom
This was one film I've come across a few times on TV, though not during its original theatrical run. And each time I've seen it, there always seems to be something a little different about how it is presented. To summarize:

1) the first time I saw it was on a local channel as a late night movie, I think. There the first part was in B/W, the second in color, a battered B/W trailer in between. The B/W part of the feature was as clean as a new B/W film, though.

2) a couple of years later, it aired locally in a french dubbed version. There, both parts were in color (not the trailer, though) and very clean. The trailer is still "worn".

3) the last time I saw it, it opened with an intro by George Burns, which was not there the first time I saw it (but I was aware it was in the theatrical version, and I came in late seeing it the second time). But most interestingly, not only was the first part in B/W, but it was as worn and tinny as the trailer.

I suppose what I'd like to ask is, exactly how was it presented in the theater? I suspect 3) but I also wonder why more than one different version is floating out there in package "prints" for TV...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i was idly flipping thru a movie guide yesterday and i saw the entry for this and thought "boy i would love to see that again, but i think i must be the only one in the world who would remember it.
i saw it several times on HBO in 1979 and that was the last time.
obviously my memeory would be really shaky- but the video guide says that it was originally presented B&W/color and with the Burns intro.
i think it would have made an impression if the first part of the film had been worn/ragged B&W. i seem to remember it looking pretty glossy myself.

fun movie, especially for 30s film buffs- does Universal own this?

Howard Tom

Agent
Real Name
Howard Tom

I think the last time I saw this that it had the old ITC logo on it, so I assume world rights still belong to Lord Grade. This might explain why we never see it any more?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks