A question about "Movie Movie" (1978)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Howard Tom, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Howard Tom

Howard Tom Agent

Howard Tom
    This was one film I've come across a few times on TV, though not during its original theatrical run. And each time I've seen it, there always seems to be something a little different about how it is presented. To summarize:

1) the first time I saw it was on a local channel as a late night movie, I think. There the first part was in B/W, the second in color, a battered B/W trailer in between. The B/W part of the feature was as clean as a new B/W film, though.

2) a couple of years later, it aired locally in a french dubbed version. There, both parts were in color (not the trailer, though) and very clean. The trailer is still "worn".

3) the last time I saw it, it opened with an intro by George Burns, which was not there the first time I saw it (but I was aware it was in the theatrical version, and I came in late seeing it the second time). But most interestingly, not only was the first part in B/W, but it was as worn and tinny as the trailer.

I suppose what I'd like to ask is, exactly how was it presented in the theater? I suspect 3) but I also wonder why more than one different version is floating out there in package "prints" for TV...

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i was idly flipping thru a movie guide yesterday and i saw the entry for this and thought "boy i would love to see that again, but i think i must be the only one in the world who would remember it.
    i saw it several times on HBO in 1979 and that was the last time.
    obviously my memeory would be really shaky- but the video guide says that it was originally presented B&W/color and with the Burns intro.
    i think it would have made an impression if the first part of the film had been worn/ragged B&W. i seem to remember it looking pretty glossy myself.

fun movie, especially for 30s film buffs- does Universal own this?

3. Howard Tom

Howard Tom Agent

Howard Tom

I think the last time I saw this that it had the old ITC logo on it, so I assume world rights still belong to Lord Grade. This might explain why we never see it any more?