A question about keys.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Apr 12, 2005.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Is there any way to have keys made if you've lost the originals? I've had a lot on my mind the last 5 months and have lost the 2 original keys to my ATVs and I can't find them, which I know I should have had duplicated before so this wouldn't happen. I have a 1996 Honda 300 Fourtrax 4x4 and a 2000 Suzuki 500 Quadmaster 4x4, if that helps anyone with answering. Hope aomeone here can help me.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm not positive, but i think any locksmith should be able to do this???

3. Michael Toguchi

Michael Toguchi Stunt Coordinator

A locksmith should be able to take care of you. About 10 years ago my girlfriend at the time lost her keys to her car and we were out in the middle of nowhere. We were able to find a payphone and call a locksmith.

He found the proper key design to start with and popped the locking mechanism out of the trunk of the car. He then proceeded to mark the key by tapping the pins on the lock against the inserted blank. He proceeded to shape the key to the required form to open the lock.

I don't know how difficult it will be to do a similar thing with your vehicles, but it can be done.

4. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

The answer is yes. A key can be made by a locksmith.
    My father inlaw is a locksmith and he has done this sort of thing countless times.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I bought some new locks for the GF's toyota out of a wrecked toyota in a yard, no keys though. Her locks got mangled in a break in attempt... well, success after they found a big rock. Anyway..

took the tumblers to the dealer, each lock has a key code on it, he looked it up and cut us a key for $5 in about 3 minutes. I'd assume if you took the ignition to a honda ATV dealer they could do the same for much less than a locksmith... or, you might call and see if they can do it by VIN.

6. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I'm not familiar with ATVs, so I don't know if they have a VIN or not. But, while I was changing the battery of a friend's car, he left the keys inside. When I connected the terminals, the car locked itself. I just told him to go to a dealership, tell them the VIN, show proof of ownership, and they will give the correct keys. Vehicle keys are not unique, there are sets I believe, so it's always easy to get replacements. The dealership took care of him.

So, I suspect if you visit a Honda or Suzuki dealership, they'll quickly resolve the issue. [​IMG]

7. David_Moechnig

David_Moechnig Stunt Coordinator

An easier way to do it is take the ignition switch off the wheeler and get the key number off the bottom side and go to the dealer and order a key. I had to do this on my 85 Yamaha RZ350 a while back, I think it cost around $10-15. That is probably cheaper than hiring a locksmith to do it.

8. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll look into them. If anyone has any more ideas, just post them.

VinhT: ATVs do have VIN numbers. I had to look for the VIN number on my Suzuki when the original registration was lost and I had to get it registered to ride it legally on the trails.