What's new

a question about equalizing your sub... (1 Viewer)

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
I have just hooked a Feedback Destroyer Pro into my chain, and I am now flattening out my sub response (with a slight house curve). Here is my question:

I have JM Lab Cobalt 816s as my mains. They play down to 40-50 Hz range. My receiver is set to small mains + sub. My crossover occurs at 80 Hz. When THX is applied while using DD or DTS, the crossover is also at 80 Hz. Therefore, when I set the sub with the Feedback Destroyer, I used the small setting plus sub. It sounds great, and is a very seamless blend now.

My concern is what happens when I am listening to DVD-A? My universal player (Onkyo DV-SP800) has bass management applied when using SACD, so I would assume it would be close to my original settings. The DVD-A portion of the player does not apply bass management (although it does apply time delays). The question I have is what happens to my bass when I am listening to DVD-A? My sub now has filters holding back certain frequencies to tame peaks, but when the mains are set to large (6 channel analog input with no bass management), what happens? I can't seem to get my head around how it will play out. Will there be doubling up of frequencies, or holes? Or should it go unnoticed?

Thanks.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
It would seem the full range signal intended for your speakers is played through those speakers, and is not EQd. Anything intended for the sub is EQd.

-Robb

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
Robb -

I understand that, but my question is what happens to the frequencies that are in the overlap?

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Rob,

Unfortunately, there's no good way to predict how those lower frequencies coming from up to 6 different locations in a room will interact. Ultimately, that's why bass management is so important.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks