A question about ending credits

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Karl_O, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Karl_O

Karl_O Stunt Coordinator

Until about the 1960s, most movies often do not show the ending credits. In most cases, when a movie ends it shows "The End." Even since the 1960s, almost all movies show the ending credits, some even lasting fifteen minutes. How does it come to be the case? Is there a history beyond this change?

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It's due to various unions or guilds getting screen credit for their members work in each film.

Crawdaddy

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'd like to know the history of how people decided that when the credits started, there was nothing else worth seeing and that they should leave. When movies ended with just "THE END" did people get up during that too?

4. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Jesse - For most people, there usually isn't anything worth seeing after the movie ends. It's just names scrolling up over black. I really don't blame people for leaving right after the movie ends.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm one of those people who love seeing the credits before the movie...they are usually designed more stylishly (Like the titles Saul Bass made!).

However, some films DID have ending credits in earlier film years. Around the World In Eighty Days has NO CREDITS whatsoever before the film (Only a tastefully small Todd-AO logo on 70mm presentations)

Citizen Kane, of course, has all of the credits at the end as well. Just a logo, production credit, then the title at the beginning.

There are also films with no credits at all. Fantasia was made so that the credits would be handed out as programmes for the film. Sadly, the DVD replicates (besides censorship) the roadshow cut, but fails to provide a program which would include the credits. (The extra on disc 3 is illegible)

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Is there a rule on who has to be represented in the credits? You will often see the caterer's credit in the end credits, yet none of their work was on screen. Do they have to be given credit?

7. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

The answer about the unions is certainly correct.

The unexplored issue is when does this kindergarten-wide applause for every contribution, no matter how unrelated to vision, risk, etc, associated with the work of art on screen, become ludicrous?

IMO, when the audiences walk out.

Anway, Peter Sellers "I'm alright Jack" will soon be on DVD. I'm sure the credits will be more appropriate.

9. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

10. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

My complaint with many movie's credits is, I think the first thing in the end credits should be the cast. Usually, if I'm interested in any of the info there, that is what I want to know. Then all the other BS can come after.

11. Karl_O

Karl_O Stunt Coordinator

By watching the ending credits on one film last night, I really do not understand why there is need to credit people who should not be credited. I feel that the cast, the director , the screenwriters and the producers deserve to be credited. Most people really do not care about the other people who work in the film. Would we care about the people who work in the catering staff?

12. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

"By watching the ending credits on one film last night, I really do not understand why there is need to credit people who should not be credited. I feel that the cast, the director , the screenwriters and the producers deserve to be credited. Most people really do not care about the other people who work in the film. Would we care about the people who work in the catering staff? "

The DP, Production designer and (in some cases) the sound designer seriously affect the film. As do many other people. Try to see this from the pov of the transportation coordinator or best boy. If you worked on a movie, you'd certainly want credit.

13. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

14. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

If you've ever been in any sort of production, theatrical or cinematically, you'd love to see your name up in the credits too. Otherwise, it's kind of a slap in the face when a production doesn't give you any credit for the work they put in.

Frankly, I don't care much for watching credits. More power to people who want to stick around.

15. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

It's the lack of proportion that's ludicrous. I'm surprised some of these people don't want to thank their mum and dad too.
    BTW, its hilarious how often these hard-fought-for-credits for the trivial are illegible on the home screen anyway.
    [​IMG]

16. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

17. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I wonder if people on book forums complain or even comment about the "thank you" and acknowledgment sections in books and ridicule those who are listed.

18. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    I'm with the crowd that wonders everyone down to the caterer has to be in the credits. I work for a company that puts out a product, should I expect my name to be on the label? Do you go to the grocery store and wonder why there isn't a huge list of credits on each product? I mean, hundreds (if not thousands) of people play key roles in bringing any product to the market place.

The cast, director, etc... is all I care about. Couldn't care less about grips, electricians, caterer, etc... They did their job and got paid, just like I do at my job.

19. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

20. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Where do you draw the line? What about the guys that wrote the rendering software? How about the stand-ins and stunt players?

The caterers are usually just one line, the catering company, not the individuals. There aren't that many grips and best boys either.