A question about DVD-A/SACD inputs: 5.1 or 7.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron E. Smith, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the middle of trying to decide which preamp will center my rebuilt home theater. What is really nagging at me however is this whole analog input situation with DVD-A and SACD. Some receivers have 7.1 channel input, others have 5.1. Does that mean that a 5.1 input system cannot use the other two speakers in a 7.1 speaker set up? How should one hookup a 7.1 connection for DVD-A and SACD? Just double up on the back channels?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

DVD-Audio is 5.1, I'm not sure about SACD. That is why 5.1 receivers work with DVD-A cause many have 6 channel inputs. To make DVD-Audio 7.1 would be to run a DSP for it (like the 'Widescreen' mode on a Denon Receiver).

As for the analog inputs, you could wait for receivers and players come out that have a dedicated link, which from what I've heard is in the works. Firewire also works for this purpose too as an alternative to External Analog inputs if avaliable in your components.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron, both multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio are 5.1-channel formats. If you buy a receiver or pre/pro with 7.1-channel inputs, just use the front left, front right, center, rear left, rear right, and subwoofer inputs. After all, the players only have 5.1-channel outputs.

4. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

Yea, I figured that just using the 5.1 would be the way to go, but I don't understand the use of 7.1 inputs then!? Is it a gimmick?

Also, I'm using (well, soon will be) a 7.1 system. I'm assuming that DVD-A and SACD won't use two of these speakers. Is there any processors that engage the full syste, ala Logic 7? (In fact, does even L7 engage DVD-A and SACD?)

Thanks!

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron, I suppose DVDs could be encoded in 7.1 one day just as some are encoded in 6.1. However, it remains to be seen whether DVD players will decode in 6.1 or 7.1. For now, there is no need for 6.1- or 7.1-channel inputs.

You could probably use a DSP mode to play DVD-Audio or SACD in 7.1. However, that DSP will likely impart degradation of the audio. Try it and see what you think.

6. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Yea...

however if one day a discrete 7.1 system comes out you'll be ready for it. It seems likely that this will be the next new audio format in a few years... but there's no word on it yet, or if at all. Just my personal opinion that things are heading this way. So for a long time 7.1 inputs will be useless. 5.1 inputs will be just right.

7. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

7.1 inputs would be useful if you used dipole or bipole surrounds. Then you could use the rear centers (which should be direct radiators) for the rear SACD or DVD-A channels.

8. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

My EAD Theatermaster 8000 has 7.1 inputs and a unique way to use them that other units with 7.1 may also have.
    You can use all 7.1 for one device or partition the one input into 5.1 SACD/DVDA bypass and 2 channel analog bypass or a couple of other dif. combinations.
    Example, I could use 2 channel SACD and 5.1 DVDA on the same 7.1 device input. The processor can then manage how you have the inputs devided. I was considering using 2 channels for a vinyl source for pure analog and the 5.1 for a combo DVDA/SACD player.
    Here is an EAD link (check out the 3rd bullet point)
    http://www.alphadigitaltech.com/prod...ster_8000p.htm