What's new

A question about Dolby Digital Plus and it's benefits. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have an Onkyo TX-SR503 reciever and just got my first Blu-ray player a couple of weeks ago, it doesn't offer DDTrueHD or DTSHD but it does support DD+. I just switched from using my optical out to using my RCA jack multi-channel inputs today because I was told that this was the only way I could employ DD+, is this correct?.

Also, with this reciever being a couple of years old now am I getting the full benefit of DD+? This is what i'm most interested in getting the answer to because if all i'm getting is the same as what I was getting from my optical output i'm going to switch it back the way it was.

I guess what i'm asking is are the benefits of DD+ noticable on ALL existing DD recievers?

Thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
From what I have read DD+ is the discreet 7.1 version of the AC-3 5.1 DD. This is probably a bit simplistic as it also offer a higher bit rate than DD. It's said to be backwards compatible with all DD receivers but I'm assuming they mean those with 7.1 channels. I would also think that would mean it's transferrable via optical and coaxial inputs and not just analog but I don't remember reading anything about that. It did mention HDMI and iLink, however.

I'm not sure if there is much sonic improvement while watching a 5.1 dvd but the higher bit rate (1.7 Mbits vs. 640 kbits) suggests that there might be.

Perhaps a look at Dolby's web site could clarify things a little more.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
There is really no benefit, as far as Dolby Digital Plus is concerned, to using multi-channel analogue inputs on your particular receiver. On Blu-ray DD+ is used to add extra channels, not to increase resolution. What you're hearing through the analogue insputs will only ever be the standard 640kbps 5.1-channel audio you would also get using the receiver's standard S/PDIF digital inputs, as your amp doesn't include 7-channel analoue inputs. The bass management is likely to be better in your receiver than the player, though, so the advantage would probably lean toward your previous connection method.

I wouldn't really worry about it, though. Dolby Digital Plus with more than six channels of audio will never be a significant presence on Blu-ray (at least as a primary soundtrack) so the chances of you actually encountering a disc with extra channels that you can't use are minimal.

You should probably keep the multi-channel connection though, if only for PCM soundtracks. What model Blu-ray player is it? I've never heard of one that would process DD+ and not TrueHD as well.

Adam

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Okay, I have a decision to make right now, I decided to tear my system apart and reconfigure my componants on my rack and it's still pulled out with the back exposed, so i'm at a cross roads of sorts, do I restore my old connection or go with the analog connections? I suppose I could connect both since the inputs and outputs on my gear are all active.

I did watch Walk Hard The Dewy Cox Story tonight on BD and the rears seemed to be a tad brighter using the analog connections, I also sampled Die Hard and Cloverfield on BD and again the rears seemed amped up a bit, LFE was also plentiful and tight.

I think at this point i'll go with the analog connections but like I said it won't do any harm to connect both.

My player is the Sony BDP-S300 and it indeed only offers DD+ and no DDTrueHD, i'm hoping that a firmware upgrade in the future might rectify that.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm so glad that I left the multichannel inputs connected, I do notice an improvement in DD over the digital inputs, my friend and I watched Live Free or Die Hard on BD yesterday and it sounded fantastic through the MC terminals. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks