A question about DISH installation pole diameter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RAF, Aug 12, 2001.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Plans are moving along for the installation of my DISHNetwork system. This involves digging a hole and mounting a 10' galvanized pole in cement, running conduit to the house, etc.
    One question came to mind. The "installer" left a section of pipe with me (the piece he used to mount his trial dish to make sure I could get adequate signal strength at the future pole location) so that my friend, a contractor, could get me a piece of 10' galvanized pipe. He (the installer) said to me "make sure the pole you get is exactly the same diameter." My friend got me a very sturdy galvanized 10' pipe that has an outside diameter of approximately 1 7/8" whereas the "sample" piece of pipe measures in at a little over 1 5/8" The pipe I got is MUCH more sturdy and galvanized throughout whereas the sample piece is flimsier and only powdercoated for protection.
    How critical is the diameter of the pole? Are the brackets for the satellite dishes adjustable to the extent that they will work with a 1 7/8" pole rather than a 1 5/8" pole or is 1 7/8" too large? I realize that the satellites must be attached firmly to the pole to prevent any movement but I wasn't paying attention to the brackets and the mounting when the installer did the original test measurements.
    My prediciment is that the installer is away for a few days and I'd really like to set the pole in cement in the next day or two - but, obviously, I don't want to install a pole with a diameter that won't work.
    I would appreciate any information for those who have either "been there, done that" or who know more about mounting specifics for the dish brackets (Dish 500 and Dish 300).
    Thanks.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Robert,
    I'm so glad you asked this question, it's the sort of thing that many others are planning for and I feel that many will benefit from a discussion of this subject.
    I am uniquely qualified to help since I am not in the dish business and have nothing to gain by my answer. Furthermore I know nothing about the matter.
    That won't slow me down.
    Go right ahead with your post setting. If the diameter of your high quality pipe is not compatible with the dish mount, you can always add a coupling and then a slightly smaller pipe.
    Jim
    I was able to work the letter "Q" into this three times!
    Damn, missed the 5 PM medication.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Robert,
    You are wanting to put both a single pole with using their mounting arms? The dish has a "stop" of some kind to keep it from sliding down the pole. It's getting dark so I will look at it after work tomorrow. I will also check to see if 1 7/8 will work. I think it will. I'll post some measurements if you need them.
    -Robert

4. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a 1-5/8" galvanized pole from Home Depot (located in the pole section by the fence material) and it worked great. I took the Dish mounting piece in the store with me to try it out. [​IMG]

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

quote: You are wanting to put both a single pole with using their mounting arms? The dish has a "stop" of some kind to keep it from sliding down the pole. It's getting dark so I will look at it after work tomorrow. I will also check to see if 1 7/8 will work. I think it will. I'll post some measurements if you need them.[/quote]
    Robert_J,
    Thanks. I would like to know if 1 7/8" will work with the dish hardware. Yes, I am planning a two dish installation on this single, very sturdy pole. The original signal acquisition testing was done with a 6 foot pole and I am adding an additional foot by installing a 10 foot galvanized steel pipe three feet in the ground (imbedded in concrete, anchored to prevent twisting and, of course, completely perpendicular to the ground.) The extra foot should give me a bit more elbow room if mounting the two dishes near each other causes some geometry problems. The "stop" you mentioned intrigues me. I assume that this would not interfere in any way with a two dish mount since I understand this is done all the time.
    The sample pipe that the installer left was, as I stated, a much lighter gauge, and slightly thinner in diameter. A friend is supposed to bring me a mounting bracket tomorrow or the next day that is used in Dish installations so that I can make sure that the 1 7/8" diameter is not a problem. But I could use a double check of measurements from you, if you don't mind. I have to think that there is some degree of flexibility in mounting these brackets and that the important thing is to make sure the mounting is tight. I would imagine that if I went to a smaller diameter than the 1 5/8" tubing sample I have that there might be a problem with being able to fully tighten the bracket. But I would also think that a slightly larger pipe would provide me the opportunity of tightening the bracket just as well, or even better - unless I am missing something here.
    quote: I was able to work the letter "Q" into this three times![/quote]
    Jim,
    A little too much free time on our hands, eh? [​IMG]
    Seriously, I'll be sharing the progress of my satellite project as it develops. I'm learning a lot in the process and it doesn't hurt to share with others. This has been an interesting experience for me. I didn't count on the 100 degree+ weather this past week, so this limited my digging to the early and late hours of the day. And I also didn't count on my property being used as a dumping ground as I dug deeper. Surplus asphalt, iron gratings, other building refuse, "ironwood" logs - you name it, I found it and dug it up! And at age 59 it's a bit harder on the bones than it was at 29! (But a nice sense of accomplishment)
    But my quaint quixotic attempts were, without question, a quintessential quest for a quality TV signal that will qualify as a quantum leap above Cablevision and quadruple my enjoyment of my VW10HT by adding HDTV to my normal fare (now that's a nice quinella!) and quash any quarrels that my projector is not capable of its quota of great images. But who's to quibble with such quizzical quotes from those quick to quip regarding any new technology? Time to quit before this response requires a quire of paper to print out!
    (Now all we are missing is my gal Rosie Perez naming all the foods that begin with the letter "Q")
    [​IMG]
    Take care.
    ------------------
    RAF
    ["PITA" since 1942]

6. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Gents,
    FYIW-
    My Dish is mounted on a 4" dia steel pipe, 10' long that was previously used as a basketball goal pole. I knew when I installed my dish that in the near future we planned to move So, I did not want the installation to be permanent. The pole/pipe is welded to a automobile wheel w/tire which has 150lbs of concrete set around it holding it down. I can (read strain ballz [​IMG]) move it around as I need too, which will be within the next 30 days I hope.
    RAF-enjoy your new Dish setup! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    After looking at my dish, I don't think 1 7/8 will work. When tight, the bracket fits perfectly around the mounting arm. I don't think I could force the mounting assembly on a 1 7/8 inch pipe without bending something.
    The bolt that the dish pivots on for the elevation angle runs through the middle of the mounting assembly and rests on top of the arm. There is no way to remove it to slide it down the pole and still be able to adjust the elevation angle.
    Have you thought about using the mounting arms to hold the dishes and attaching them to the pole with U-bolts?
    I am not a professional installer. I have installed/re-installed about a dozen systems for friends and family. A professional may be able to pull this off.
    -Robert

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

quote: After looking at my dish, I don't think 1 7/8 will work[/quote]
    Robert_J,
    I agree. Today I was able to get hold of a Dish mounting bracket and you described it perfectly. There is no way that the 1 7/8" pipe would fit in the bracket as constructed. Therefore, I will be getting a galvanized pipe with a 1 5/8" outside diameter to do the job. (My contractor tells me this is actually a 1.25" galvanized pipe with thick wall construction which has an effective outside diameter of 1 5/8" This is more rigid than the thin walled stuff that is sometimes used.)
    Also, I realize that the second dish is attached by a different bracket that attaches via a side clamp (and is not inhibited by the "stop" which prevents the normal bracket from sliding down the pole. Finally, if I run into elevation problems where I want to both dishes down the pole for better reception I can always use side clamping brackets in both cases. But my gut feeling is that the standard mount for the Dish 500 will work fine and a side mounting 2nd bracket for the dish 300 will also fit nicely.
    I'll report the continuing results as they occur.
    Thanks for the helpful information.
    ------------------
    RAF
    ["PITA" since 1942]

9. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Gents-
    I forgot to mention above that mine is held to my 4" pole via three stainless steel clamps, IE: hose clamps. Works like a charm, won't rust either [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

10. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Thanks, Todd!
    ------------------
    RAF
    ["PITA" since 1942]