a question about "decorating" a sub/speaker enclosure...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Anthony*B, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

what are the "should" & "should nots" of decorating DIY speaker/sub cabinets?is it ok to pretty much do anything to your cabinet as long as it is securely fastened/glued?i say this because i'm an artist/graphics guy and will one day be building my own setup, but i really wanna take it past the stained/rounded edge cube wood designs (beautiful though they may be)...does adding/subtracting wood/mdf fromt an enclosure change or hurt it's sonic charecteristics? i am not really talking about doing speakers or subs in "weird" enclosures, more like taking a standard box enclosure and doing some interesting things like adding trim or carving art into the MDF etc...

2. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Anthony,

So long as you start with a solid enclosure (I'd strongly suggest MDF or void-free plywood rather than "real" wood for the basic structure), go to town! Just make sure that any added trim, carving, etc. is firmly attached.

When you're done, post pictures!

3. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

thanks bobk...that's kind of what i figured...i suppose as long as nothing rattles it shouldnt affect anything...im actually surprised more people dont go crazier w/ their designs....perhaps the hobby is still in its infancy...i liken it to computer case modding, if any of you are familiar w/ that...the initial designs were fairly conservative, but as it grew, the designs became more outlandish...im not sure though, sub builders seem to be a slightly different breed than computer case modders...case modders are often showy (to the point of tackiness), whereas sub builders have the WAF to deal with (and perhaps a litle more "taste" inborn, since we see so many beautiful speaker/sub enclosures i.e. B&W, Axiom, Sonus Faber & countless more)...heh, I'm pretty tacky in a Rob Zombie sort of way...maybe my enclosures will reflect that [​IMG]
    or maybe not...WAF and all [​IMG]