What's new

A question about decoder IC 's of dolby and DTS (1 Viewer)

lakshmant

Agent
what exactly is meant by a group A dolby decoder and yamaha claims their decoder is a dolby group A decoder then i have a onkyo dvs 757 THX player with a crystal chip does it not meet dolby's highest standards as it is not advertised a group A decoder as it is integrated video +audio deocoder

can anybody who has a good knowledge of chips DSP etc explain this and what is the diffrence between MOPS and MIPS
in the DSP world and how many mops equals a MIP

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
The Group A designation was once used for internal communication between Dolby and its licensees regarding certain specs the decoder chip had to meet. It was not intended for advertising copy, and has since been retired.

lakshmant

Agent
thank you so much for your reply and i love your articles on PLogic on the dolby website read them many times
but is there any basic difference in the chips which various firms like zoran ,cirus, analog devices etc make or is the decoding in them exactly the same if so why do companies choose one chip over the other is it for features or for quality of the chip and its speed i:e faster the chip better the decoding quality.

Also could i know what the CP650 IC make is it is such a great processor so much better sonically and feature wise compared to the cp500 which i love very much.

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
>>is there any basic difference in the chips which various firms like zoran ,cirus, analog devices etc make or is the decoding in them exactly the same if so why do companies choose one chip over the other

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
MOPS = Millions of Operations per Second.
MIPS = Millions of Instructions per Second.

An Operation is a complete unit of work, and can contian any number of instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks