A question about computer networking

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Ringwald, May 26, 2002.

1. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I know that many computers in one household can be networked to share the same internet feed.

We have a cable modem, and I was wondering if I were to network the computer in our living room to the one I'm getting next week (which will be in my room), would we be able to view different web sites at the same time if people were using both computers?

My brother says that they would both have the same pages if we were both on-line.

Can someone shine a little light here?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes they can, but you need to pick up a router

Just go to any store, they have ones marked as Cable/DSL Sharing Routers or something like that

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

4. Robert Ringwald

I knew it.

Thanks a lot you guys. I did a little checking online and figured out that I can pick up a router for a very little price, and even found some detailed instructions as to how to hook everything up.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Those routers are pretty expensive though-there's a much cheaper way to do it. I've used a program called GnatBox (www.gta.com), which is a free firewall program for a couple of years now. Basically, I have it running from a floppy on a 486-100 with 2 netowrk cards. Plug modem into network card 1, plug network card 2 into hub, plug other computers into hub, use 486 as gateway. The cable/dsl routers that encapsulate all of this go for around $200, but I put together all of this for less than $75 (including cable).
    If money isn't an object though-the routers you can buy are essentially this same setup, just in one box.

6. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Go the router route [​IMG]
    Seriously, you should be able to pick up a cable/dsl router for $75 - $100. Well worth it. You don't want to deal with a software solution if you don't have to. If the main computer is used for other things then being a "Proxy" server, you don't want to deal with it.
    Also, there are wireless routers for about $175. Thats the way I went. I have a SMC Barricade and love it. I feed my cable modem to the WAN link and connect a pc with a wireless USB adapter. I also connect my laptop with with a wireless PCMCIA adapter.

7. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Router for $200, not in YRS (for a home based one anyway). You can pick up a wired based Linksys router for $50-60 shipped now if you shop around. MUCH easier to deal with then a dedicated box, less power consumption as well. The 2 (or how ever many computers are hooked up to it) will operate on the internet completely independant of one another. Most home based routers are plug and play and require little if any effort to set up.

8. Robert Ringwald

Can anyone recommend a good router? Maybe one that's easy to work and set-up. Does anyone have a pretty good one that they know from experience would be a good choice?

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

As mentioned before, Linksys makes good ones

10. Rob Behm

Rob Behm Extra

Highly recommend Linksys BEFSR41. It goes for around $70. Linksys is very good about coming out with firmware updates as needed. Plus, it is nice not having to leave a computer on all the time.

11. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I've disliked Linksys routers ever since one died on me 2 days after I bought it. Sent it back for a Netgear (RO318) that has worked flawlessly for almost 8 months.

12. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

I use a D-Link DI707 router...i've never had a problem with it and it's very simple to hook up.

13. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

3com is always ideal then:

SMC
    Netgear
    Linksys
    Dlink

in order of what I would like to see in a home network.