a question about calibrating the system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, May 11, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

well, if i bought an spl meter and an avia disk, but i didnt have an equilizer to average the frequency graph...is the avia disk still worth it? how do you guys calibrate your sound system without an equilizer? or a bfd?

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

most of us just use the individual speaker sound level adjustments in our receivers or pre/pros. like +1db for the back left and -2db for the back right and so on

3. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Felix,

An SPL and Avia (or Video Essentials) is well worth it. You have probably seen many a thread about setting by ear only to calibrate with a meter to find 5-10 db difference. If you really feel it still doesnt sound "right" then maybe graphing it may be another route. Trying to flatten the frequency response can be helped (in some cases) simply by moving speakers, furniture, and adding/removing sound treatments.

Good luck,

Bill

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Felix,

How is the calibration going? Does the process make sense?

If not, post your receiver/processor model and what you're currently doing (specifically) to test and we'll try to help out.

Regards,

Mike

5. felix_suwarno

thanks mike, but i was just wondering about it. i actually dont think that my system needs calibration at this point, because my ht room doesnt have too many openings, and everything is perfectly symmetrical. if i had the money and space for an equalizer, svs class subwoofer and etc etc etc off course i would buy them all.

6. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Felix,
    Calibration and using an equalizer are typically two DIFFERENT activities. Have you watched the Avia disc yet? I believe they have a segment on calibration: what it is and how to do it.
    Calibration is related to balancing the outputs (i.e., volume) of the speakers in your system, not smoothing the frequency response (except in that the sub is calibrated but from the perspective of it being just another speaker).
    All that you need to do a basic calibration is a sound meter (like the RS model) and Avia.
    Here's a thread with more info:
    Do I really need an SPL meter?

7. felix_suwarno

thanks for the info mike. i havent seen avia disc. might buy it sometime later this year when i have more money.