What's new

A question about burned CD's and their compatability with (or lack of) DVD players (1 Viewer)

Derek J

Grip
Can anyone tell me why I can play a CD on my DVD player but I can't play a burned or copied CD? I am not a electronic wizard so please explain as simply as you can and in layman's terms.
Thanks

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
It has to do with the reflectivity of the CD versus a CD-R or CD-RW and the wavelength of light the DVD player uses. Because DVDs have smaller pits than CDs, DVD players use a laser with smaller wavelength. For pre-made CDs where there are physical "pits" in the surface of the CD, this laser will provide an acceptable wavelength to read the information from the surface. With recordable CDs, there are no physical pits. The recording process changes the reflectivity of the surface. The DVDs laser can't adequately read this reflectivity information. Newer DVD players have more than one laser to provide this compatibility.
SMK

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
"Oh, you're a layman. Let me explain it in technical terms..."
rolleyes.gif
LOL
-Stimpy
Not all DVD players have this problem.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 02, 2001 at 04:00 PM]

You'll want to try different CD-R and CD-RWs on your DVD player. Different colors and brands may make a difference based your DVD player.
Using trial and error with my old Sony DVD player, I've found that these generic "silver" colored CD-RWs worked best but had problems with green CD-Rs.
[Edited last by Michael Knieriemen on August 02, 2001 at 04:42 PM]

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Hmmm... That's interesting. That linked website claims the silver CD-RW and light blue CD-R work with my RCA 5200p. I have tried about 10 different types of discs and they have all failed, including many shades of blue CD-R. I have never tried silver CD-RW though. Hmmmm...
Kinda moot though, since both my other DVD players can read most media, including one that reads DVD-RAM.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks