A question about beginner widescreen tv.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Viktor A Lundberg, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Viktor A Lundberg

Viktor A Lundberg Auditioning

Hello, second post here for me.
    I'm totally new to hometheater in general. Moving into a new place and decided to try and set my first system up.
    Being a collage student I don't have too much of a budget so I was wondering if anyone have any recommendations for a widescreen tv under $2000(us) or if a that price I'd be better off investing in something else.
    Thank you in advance:
    Viktor

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Moved to Tv and Projector Area....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 6-11-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

For less than $2000 you can readily get the Toshiba 40H80 16:9 TV. Its an excellent little set, my only complaint is that you can't readily put a center channel speaker on top of it, but many people have made little stands that work great for it. Also you can take that money and add just a tad bit more and get the Toshiba 56H80 16:9 TV, it too is a great set and worth every penny, and you can place a center channel on top of it.
    I personally do not care for Mits, just something about them rubs me wrong and I have spent many hours looking at them while waiting on my AV salesman to get around to helping me at the store.

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

5. Tom Damico

Tom Damico Auditioning

Kelly-B
    Perhaps you should spend time looking at Mitsubishi sets, that have been properly calibrated, adjusted, red push attenuator attached, and built into part of a HT instead of making decisions about how they look on the showroom floor. There are some good deals to be had on last year's models of Mitsubish, and next to the pioneer elite, I think this set has the best picture going.
    TomD