What's new

A question about Actors (1 Viewer)

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I was flipping through the channels this weekend when I came upon USA and was Playing Indiana Jones and the last Crusade.

I know actors get huge sums of money when they make a movie. I was Just wondering. How Much if any would Harrison Ford or Any actor if that would get paid for having his/her Movie played TV.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Very few actors make huge sums of money when they make a movie. What you are worth to a production is based on what kind of draw you have. Out of millions, there may be a few hundred who command top dollar these days.

It is impossible to say what, or if, an actor is paid for a television screening. Most won't see a dime, while the elite may see some depending on their deal on a particular picture. There is no standard.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It must depend on the size of their role and the success of the film. I remember seeing an interview with Emo Phillips and he held up a royalty check for his role in "UHF" to the tune of 84 cents or so. :)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
A friend of mine's cousin is an assistant to a very major film composer (everyone here would probably know the name, Emmy and Tony award winner and 5 time academy award nominated). The composer was hired to write the music for a commercial, starring a very famous female star, for a very popular mall type store that aired about 4 months or so ago (puposely being evasive, sorry, but some might figure it out).

My friend's cousin did some drum programming for the song that the female star sang. Then, when the store heard the song, they hated the backup vocals. So, Mr. Major film composer told his assistant (the cousin), "You re-do them". So, he went to the studio and sang 4 part harmony with himself on this 30 second commercial.

Not only did this get him his SAG card, but he was paid for the drum programming, union wages for each of the 4 voices, plus he gets residuals each time the commercial aired. Last count, it was up to $65,000.00.

If you heard the commercial, I think I counted that he maybe sang 10 words. Amazing!

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I, myself, hee hee'd when I just now saw the name of the original poster, and how similar it is to the unnamed composer!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I was going to mention that, but I thought that would be too revealing, especially since you weren't keen on telling us the name. :)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
For us small-time actors, the company usually just buys us out. I will get X amount for my time on set (which is governed by our union Actra) and then they will give us a buyout at the end so they wont have to pay us residuals for every time it airs or when it goes to DVD etc.

$65,000 for a voice over...geepers. I need a better agent! :D

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Not necessarily true, there are standards, just several.

It's all based on type of work and pay scale: but much of it is codified by the SAG union contract. These outline the minimums and the various scales on different productions, although the most common and easy one to follow is the on for Commercials, which I think are available from the SAG website.

If you're really interested in how it all works, you could call SAG directly (323) 954-1600 (claim to be a journalist writing a story or something) and I'm sure someone there could give you the most up to date numbers and variables.

-V

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy

SCENE LOCATION - SAG headquarters

A man walks in the main office, where the switchboard operator is sitting

Man: "So, how goes it, Lucy?"

Lucy: "It's crazy. There is a real interest in SAG. I've already had about 50 jounalists call, all wanting to write a story about SAG!"

Man: "Holy Crap. We need to raise dues!"

BLACKOUT

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I think that's from WTF the Movie. ;)

The SAG Minimum Basic Agreement, to which all the major studios are signatory, lay out in exact detail how much actors must be paid, on a declining scale, for TV play of the movies they appear in. The minimums are based on a fraction of the contractual salary minimums for the type of movie (generally based on the film's over-all budget.)

Naturally a star of Ford's magnitude negotiates a better deal in all of these area than some day player off the street, probably including a piece of what the TV rights sold for in the first place - meaning separate deals for Pay per view, first run premium cable, secondary premium cable, network broadcast and eventual syndication. Regular actors don't get a piece of any of that.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks