A Quesiton about the "Squeeze Trick"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

My new TV features a button on the remote for doing the squeeze trick on material sent using the component inputs.

I like it, but the bars that the TV create are white. Is this standard? Is there a service menu or something to change them to the familar black? (My TV is a Hitachi 53FDX01B)

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Is the TV calibrated in any way, with Video Essentials or Avia or whatever? It may be that the bars are supposed to be gray and the brightness or contrast are turned up too high. TVs are usually shipped with these controls up much too high.

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

white ?! [​IMG]
    Sounds like a flaw, I hope you get it fixed
    You should have near-black bars.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Looks to me you are not getting a true squeeze trick.
    If the top and bottom bars are anything but black, scan lines are wasted painting them. The TV may be doing the same downconversion that DVD players do to anamorphic disk playback.
    Unless the TV, in 16:9 mode, is upping its scan rate to 640 active scan lines so 480 of them will be in the 16:9 shaped area, which I 'kinda' doubt.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Johnny_J_C

Johnny_J_C Auditioning

Hi Ike....I have the same TV as you..and the same white bars with component connections..I believe it is standard for this Hitachi TV....and as far as I know there is no way to change it. The only way around that is to use one of the 2 other type connections, in which case it will be black at the top & bottom. But then yes, you take the chance of "burn-in" if you watch that particular type of input a lot.