What's new

A quandry stemming from missing features (1 Viewer)

Graham Michael

Auditioning
I'm in a bit of a quandry. I work for Future Shop in Canada and I purchased a Toshiba 50HX70 in August. I did so under the impression that the TV would be capable of 16x9 "squeeze" mode for my DVDs. I didn't have the time to check out the particulars, so I had to trust my fellow employees to guide me right. Whether through lack of knowledge, lack of interest or just general malice, I have now found (after finally getting some time to sit down with this set - hey, I'm a full time university student too :) that my set only does 16x9 on a 1080i signal - not something I have. :frowning:
I'm a bit ticked. So tomorrow I'm going to talk to the manager of my home theater department and see if he'll do an exchange out of customer service.
So here's the (hopefully on topic) question. The new 50" Toshiba does 16x9. I could get that. Or I could get an actual 16x9 set...
I also use the set for video games and regular/digital cable. Are there any other sets worth looking at in this price range? Which set would you get? Am I justified in asking for this exchange?
Thanks in advance guys!
Graham

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Definately ask Graham. The Toshiba's are a fine set for the money, I have a TW56x81 and could be biased though. ;)
As for going widescreen, there are so many more size options now, 40,42,50,53,56,57,... if you can afford it, I'd say go for it. Kind of depends on your viewing habits too. The Toshiba's have a good stretch mode for 4x3 viewing and it doesn't take long to get used to IMO. Good luck.
Steve

Graham Michael

Auditioning
Great news guys - the conversation with my manager was literally less than a minute and consisted of

"If there's a price difference, are you willing to pay it"

"Yup"

"Then go ahead, sorry about the inconvenience"

Wow. I love Future Shop!

The reason I went with a 4:3 in the first place was because I have a Playstation 2, a Nintendo Gamecube and two roommates who watch a lot of cable. However, after viewing the stretch mode on the Toshibas I'm reconsidering.

I'm going to go in this afternoon and choose my new TV!

(snow storm permitting)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks