A problem with identical front speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mal P, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Hello there,

I plan on getting three *identical* bookshelf speakers across the front, i.e. the same speaker for the L/C/R channels. I'm strongly considering the Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10s, which are magnetically shielded.

However, I'm a little worried about the imaging that may suffer since the center GR10 will have to be placed on top of the TV, and hence the tweeter will be higher than that of the L/R pair. Do you think there will be a noticeable problem when the center has to be around 30cm higher than the L/R speakers? By purchasing fairly "high-end" speakers such as the GR10s, I hope to acheive maximum sound quality.

Thank you,

Mal

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I dont think you are going to have a problem.

A music system tries to create a "image" between the 2 speakers. Slight adjustments or out-of-alignment drivers are an issue here. And this is only for the L/R speakers.

A HT system has an array of speakers and is not usually trying to create any sort of image. You WANT the center or L/R speaker to draw your attention as the sound moves around. And 30 cm height difference is nothing. Many great sounding systems have much more difference.

Hope this helps.

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Besides what Bob said you can also experiment with tilting the center speaker downwards towards your listening position. I've done that with my center speaker which is on top of my RPTV and the clarity is better.

Patrick

4. Michael St. Clair

If the speakers are not symmetrical and are the traditional tweeter-over-woofer bookshelf design, would you recommend mounting the center UPSIDE DOWN to get the tweeter closer to ear level and reduce high-frequency reflections off the ceiling?

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

7. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

8. Michael St. Clair

My new center (rebuilding home theater after we got a house) is going to be mounted from the ceiling in front of the RPTV (as the L and R mains are slightly in front). It will be far enough forward that it cannot reflect off the set, and the design of the speaker and mount is such that weight imbalance will not be an issue.

I dont believe in burying speakers back inside the equipment area, as my past experience has shown that the acoustics are better out front.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

10. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Michael,

If you are suspending it then experiment with positioning and angle. It may be better upside down but you'll have to find out imperically.

11. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses everyone. So it looks like the height difference won't be all that great a deal, especially if I angle it down a little. I'm not sure I like the idea of inverting the speaker though... it seems to be going against the way the GR10s were designed (with the dimples on the woofer cone specifically designed to cease standing waves... perhaps turning them upside down would affect the dispersion pattern).

The reason I wanted an identical speaker is because I've been informed this produces the best imaging, in terms of the front soundstage being presented on film tracks, with pure, seamless transitions and matching phase response. Besides, an extra GR10 is cheaper than the matching Center.

Anyway, the GR10s aren't finalised yet... I'll be listening to many different speaker sets. See how they go!

Sincerely,

Mal

12. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Oops.

13. Michael St. Clair

14. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

16. PatrickM