What's new

A Presidential Pardon? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
We've got the USCS books here at work. It appears that both the sections from 26 USC and 18 USC were repealed many years ago because they don't even have historical notes about them. Usually you get notes such as "section xx repealed by the XYZ bill passed by Congress in 1973". I'd have to spend an afternoon in a good-sized law library to research the history. But as a guess - and only a guess - the missing sections from 26 USC appear to fit into the topic of tax on gain/loss of property, and from 18 USC into the topic of arson (!). Perhaps he burned down a building and took the loss off his income tax? Only sheer conjecture on my part.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
That's defintely what I would do, since it's in good shape. It'll make a nice conversation piece. :)
/Mike

KyleS

Screenwriter
Without getting political, there are any number of members of Congress who would love to buy it, especially if they thought it was still good
Damn that was good Julian :laugh:
Seriously I would do as stated above and call the antiques roadshow or an auction house since they would give you the true value of it. If someone has already offered you $500 for it then it is most likely worth considerably more since they would just turn around and sell it. Best of luck but if it is not able to give the owner much money from selling it would be great to keep it and pass it on from generation to generation in the family.
KyleS

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hey. Your friendly neighborhood criminal defense attorney here. I can explain some of the laws this guy broke. Section 88, Title 18 is the old conspiracy statute (now 18 u.s.c. s 371). Back then, it was punishable by up to $10,000 and 2 years in prison. This guy and his buddy agreed to commit a crime together.
Section 1185, Title 26 is an old forfeiture statute. It means that you can't keep what you used in, or "earned" as a result of, committing a crime. It's used today a lot in fraud and drug cases.
I haven't had the time to look up the other laws, but, as a disproportionate amount of cases from back then were about milk, tobacco, or alcohol, I'd bet this guy and his buddy tried to sell cigarettes or alcohol without paying taxes on the items sold. Their store or their cars were probably seized because they were used to help commit the crime.
-Erik

EDIT:
I just read the pardon. 6 years after the first offenses, this guy was convicted of violating Section 101, Title 18. That's been folded into the current-day 18 U.S.C. s 641, Embezzlement and Theft. The old s 101 was a receipt of stolen property statute, so this guy also was convicted of receiving stolen property.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
If that all it was I wonder why the presidential pardon? Its not like those items are really bad things.

KyleS

Screenwriter
If that all it was I wonder why the presidential pardon? Its not like those items are really bad things.
Hey Mike its always good to have friends in high places plus it doesnt hurt if money that was being laundered is filtered to other areas. ;)
KyleS

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Erik,
Thats great work man! Still seems measly and something you wouldnt expect a friggin President to get involved in, let alone Pardon someone for that.
As mentioned, sounds like he may have had a buddy or tow up high.
Well, my friends all happy that its at least at $500.
I feel kinda bad tho. To let something like this go away :frowning:
Heres the really sad part. I emailed the Truman Museum to get some info on it and they asked if id be interested in donating it to them. They said that if they had the money theyd purchase it, but they dont buy anything for the museum, its all donated.
They said they would love to have it and display it.
Sadness :frowning: Oh well.
True that Truman pardoned over 2000 people, i wonder how many of those pardons are around.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I probably would have donated it if they put up something saying where they got it from and how they got it. Either that or I would have kept it. What a great conversational piece to hang on the wall! Why can't I ever find stuff like that!

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
The Dude probably wanted to do something that required a clean record, and was willing to go through the hassle for it.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
True that Truman pardoned over 2000 people, i wonder how many of those pardons are around.
Funny you should ask a coworker's grandfather was one of the 2000+ individuals who received a pardon from Truman. His crimes were prohibition related.

The family still has the papers.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Damn, true the guy did a lot of legwork to get this type of payoff, but how come I cant find something worth $1500 laying around my house?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks