What's new

A Potential DiCaprio and Spielberg Collaboration (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I'll enter the lion's den and defend (sort of) the theory.
A big reason for my thinking teenage girls have a lot to do with it, is that I saw Titanic twice, and both times I was surrounded by an audience that had to be at least 90% teen or pre-teen girls.
Now, I don't think the right theory is that Leo attracts the teenage girls per se. I think the theory is that Titanic attracts them. I think it's a combination of Leo and the story which (IMO and I realize many of you will disagree) is geared towards teenage girls.
While you probably still disagree, at least this theory could explain why one Leo movie attracted them and others did not (to the same extent).
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Now, I don't think the right theory is that Leo attracts the teenage girls per se. I think the theory is that Titanic attracts them
EXACTLY! Put any good looking young actor in that role and I believe that the results would be very similar. It's not like the Jack Dawson role demanded anything that most actors can't deliver. And yes, given Leo's other performances (BB Diaries, Gilbert Grape and Iron Mask) he has proven to me that he can act.
And I wouldn't be surprised if he did win an Oscar before this is all over. But even if he doesn't, there are so many out there who haven't won but are great actors anyway.

Matt Vielkind

Auditioning
I'll say Leo is a half way decent actor, (but I hated him in Titanic). I still think Spielberg should look around for a differnt peron for the leading role.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
You're right, George. Teenage girls did have a lot to do with Titanic's success.
But then again, so did teenage boys, adult males, adult females, couples, singles, grandparents etc..
Titanic was NOT geared towards any particular demographic. It succeeded by appealing to EVERY demographic. The many times I saw it in the theater, the thing that amazed me about the audience was how diverse it was, with every age group represented pretty equally... not that I would have minded being surrounded in a theater 90% full of teenage girls. :)
A film like Titanic does not make close to TWO BILLION DOLLARS worldwide by being geared towards any particular audience. The films phenomenal success proved that.
Back on subject, the fact that Mr. DiCaprio is being mentioned with these great directors seems to indicate that they know he is talented and want to work with him. A Spielberg/DiCaprio collaboration will be something to see indeed. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
So I guess I'm the only one that's worried about SPIELBERG'S involvement then?
wink.gif

Leo is a terrific actor and was one of the BEST things about Titanic, IMHO. He was one of the few GOOD things in The Beach.
And stuff like BBall Diaries really showed his talent as an actor.
But I just don't see SS dealing with the con-man subject very well or "artfully". Except for the 2 WW2/Jewish ties pictures that (to me) clearly motivated him in his work, much of what he has done seems a tad too soft.
AI being the exception of course, but also being strongly based with Kubrick already and more like an SS effort to emulate the master in tribute and appreciation than his own creative effort.
I'm just a little worried as to whether or not SS still has the HEART to pour into any but the most personal subjects. But I would love to see him prove me wrong. Leo as a young Richard Dryfus in a SS masterpiece would be great.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
UPDATE From today's N.Y. Daily News.:
Leonardo DiCaprio and Steven Spielberg are signed for the crime caper movie "Catch Me If You Can", but Variety reports that Dreamworks wants one more box-office name for the movie~~Spielberg's "Saving Private Ryan" star Tom Hanks.
DiCaprio would play James Abagnale Jr., a real-life crook who posed as a Pan Am co-pilot, a stockbroker, a history professor, a pediatrician (where he ran a pediatric wing of a hospital), and an assistant attorney general, reaching the FBI's 10 Most Wanted List. Tom Hanks would play the agent that tracks Abagnale.
Sounding better and better by the minute. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

David_LM

Stunt Coordinator
Not afraid to say I like Leonardo best in Titantic and The Beach. IMO he made both those movies watchable.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Hanks AGAIN?!?!
I am not sure how I feel about that. My gut tells me that Russel Crowe would be a better choice. Hanks is too 'Nice' to play a cop, and Crowe is IMHO right up there with Hanks, if not better.

Nigel W

Grip
This should be a very good collaboration. This just reminds me of how much I am looking forward to the release of What's Eating Gilbert Grape?.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks