What's new

A possibly silly question about the JVC 500 DVD player (1 Viewer)

Mitch Davis

Auditioning
Now that I've got a RPTV, I'm going to make the jump to a progressive scan player. Scaling features are very important to me and given this, it would appear that my only real options are the Panasonic RP91, JVC 500 and 600 or the Malatas (which I definitely don't want to touch, given their pixelation issues). The fact that the JVCs can be chipped for multirgion and PAL / NTSC capabilities is making me lean in that direction, but I've read over and over about the Panasonic 91 having a considerably better picture, in spite of using the Genesis chipset. I'm currently using a Panasonic 310, which is about 5 years old (!) and still looks fantastic on my 53 inch 16:9 display. My question is, even if the JVC 500 can't compete with the Panasonic 91, could anyone tell me if its picture is at least as good as the old 310? Given that it's progressive, I would think that it would be, but then again, I've also learned never to assume anything about this stuff. In the end, I might go for the 91 anyway, but I'd ideally love to get a prog player that can scale and do PAL/NTSC region-free magic!

Mitch

george king

Supporting Actor
I've had one for 6 months. Great picture and no problems with any disc.

Hope this helps.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mitch,

I've used one of the JVC's for over a year, it replaced a Panasonic A-320 and had at least as good a picture.

The scaling feature only works if the disc is properly flagged and quite a few aren't. There is no manual override to force scaling on an improperly flagged disc. One can duplicate the scaling by zooming, but there is no reliable way to make the "zoom" icon disappear from the screen. Sometimes entering a nonexistent chapter number works.

The RP-91 does have a manual override to force scaling of improperly flagged discs.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
On the JVC 70 series I press and hold the ANGLE button 1-2 seconds...the icon always disappears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks