A Possibly Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark E J, May 8, 2006.

1. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Are HD-DVD's playable on regluar SD hardware? I've heard from a couple of people who claim that you can play HD-DVD's on non-HD players, and that the result, while nowhere near the level of actual HD picture quality, is slightly better than their SD counterparts due to the lack of compression issues.

This sounds pretty unlikely to me, but would be rather interesting if it where true.

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

no. not true. for one thing, the lasers are different (red on the dvd and blue on the HD).

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    In a word, "No". You can play SD discs in hi-def players, but not the other way around. Some discs are being released with the HD version of a movie on one side and the SD version on the other (so that people with SD hardware can buy now and watch the HD version when they upgrade their players and/or displays) Technically those are discs with HD content that can be played in SD players, but only the SD side will work. [​IMG]

I think somebody who heard that you can watch HD broadcast (or cable) signals on regular TV with a convertor box has mixed that up with hi-def DVD.

Regards,

Joe

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

In fact, the first of those titles streets today--Rumor Has It..., which is the first day/date HD-DVD / SD-DVD dual-format release.

- Steve

5. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

That's what I figured thanks.