What's new

A possible Solution to Stores and their policies? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's something...

Why not have seperate sections devoted to Widescreen, AND Pan and scan, rather than have them mixed in together? For most video retail stores, who don't have the space to do such a thing, this might ot be a good solution untill VHS is totally knocked out of the picture. But for others, like Suncoast, who usually seem to have alot of space, it could be easilly done. This could ease the confusion of a mis purchased title for a widescreen lover, and it'll prove once and for all wich version title sells more copies... It would also be nice to have a video display screen on each side, playing the pan and scan of one movie, and the widescreen of the other, so the consumers can decide wich one is better for themselves...

What does everyone think?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Prior to the mass arrival of DVD, my local Coconuts/Record Town/FYE stores used to have a separate section for widescreen VHS, including signs and documentation displaying the difference between a widescreen image and the full screen image.

I don't really browse the VHS sections of these stores anymore, so I'm not sure if they're still set-up. But it is an idea that has been executed previously...to what success, I'm not sure.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well, this could work except that about 1/4th of all releases have both versions on the disc. And what customer is going to want to have to look through three different sections of DVDs to find the title they want, not knowing offhand if it is available in widescreen only, pan-and-scan only, or a pan-and-scan/widescreen disc. Doing this just encourages pan-and-scan buying and OAR ignorance.

-my two cents

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
A few of the Tower stores here have a special CD section called "Edited Versions", where they keep the cut versions of albums normally including 'explicit lyrics'. Maybe they need a special "Pan and Scan" section too? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks