A Possible DVD of Warner's King's Row-1942

Discussion in 'DVD' started by FrankXS, Apr 16, 2004.

1. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

I posted the Warner's title King's Row on another thread a few days ago and was amazed to see a number of people get on the thread to talk about it. This 1942 drama with Ronald Reagan/Ann Sheridan and Claude Rains always was a favorite. Probably Ronald Reagan's best performance and maybe also Ann Sheridan's. A couple of people also mentioned the brilliant score by Eric Korngold. Warner find a spot in your catalog of future DVD releases.

2. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

yes KINGS ROW. A great movie that I will buy when released on DVD

3. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    This is a great, great movie. Fine performances all the way around from a cast of familiar faces. It is because of this movie I had a childhood crush on Ann Sheridan. [​IMG]

Knowing Warners, when they do release it, it'll be a first class job.

Given President Reagan's tragic illness it'll never happen, but given his gift for storytelling it's a shame he couldn't have recorded commentaries for several of his movies. During his long Warners career he worked with a number of greats (Cagney, Flynn, Bogart, Dead End Kids to name a few) and I'm sure the stories would be a hoot to listen to. The commentary on this film alone would have been priceless.

Steve

4. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Not just brilliant, but one of the best scores of all time--and highly influential. I hope that when it's released on DVD, Korngold gets his due among the supplements. (The liner notes on the old Varese Sarabande soundtrack CD were phenomenal.) But I'd be happy to have Kings Row on DVD in any manner.

I suspect it's just a short matter of time, if you get my drift.

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

What makes King's Row so special

Oscar

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

It's the quintessential Warners '40s movie; Ronald Reagan in fine performance shock! (actually that's a little unfair - I thought he was excellent in The Killers too). The story may be a little soapy but this is probably the best example I can think of, of a movie score being one of the stars of a film.

Twenty odd years ago, I had a double album of clips and themes from films of Warners 'golden age', and the King's Row track - Ann Sheridan's introduction on screen and that magnificent theme - was one of my favourites.

---
    So many films, so little time...

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks John for the update

[​IMG]

8. Barrie Maxwell

Barrie Maxwell Stunt Coordinator

Let me add my support for a DVD release of this wonderful movie. In addition to Reagan and Sheridan, Claude Rains added another fine portrayal to his resume with his work as Dr. Tower. I can always remember seeing this film for the first time and watching the scene at the fence stile when Parris transforms from boy to man to the triumphant swell of Korngold's music. A magic moment!

Barrie

9. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

A brilliant film from a brilliant studio operating full throttle at the height of its powers. A super cast (Reagan and Sheridan in their finest roles, Cummings, Claude Rains, Judith Anderson, Charles Coburn as a sadistic doctor, Betty Fields as Cassie), magnificent Korngold score. superb James Wong Howe photography, a great William Cameron Menzies production design, and a fine adaptation by Casey Robinson of a difficult and dark novel. The director was the under-rated Sam Wood (GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS, PRIDE OF THE YANKEES, FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLL, KITTY FOYLE, NIGHT AT THE OPERA, THE STRATTON STORY, and a significant amount of GONE WITH THE WIND).
    It may be heresay to say, but I prefer it to CASABLANCA from the same year. t's more ambitious in its psychological implications and its technically superior.

A tv version alternated with CASABLANCA and CHEYENNE on "Warner Brothers Presents" in 1955 (it starred Jack Kelly and Robert Horton). KINGS ROW could make a great double-discer.

10. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Agreed; I participated in a film score class ten years ago and fell in love with this movie when we studied it.

This is one of the very few VHS tapes I still have.

11. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

I echo all the comments above but I also really liked the mood of the film. Its about a small town with secrets. Often rather disturbing secrets. And how these secrets affect the main characters.

I'd recommend it for anyone who loves the classics.

There are three classic films I adore that are not often mentioned as true classics - Kings Row, A tree grows in Brooklyn and The Man who came to dinner. Both Kings row and Man who came to dinner are films from 1942 and both by our fave studio Warners!

I'm sure both will be coming eventually - but I remember reading in the last chat that Warner plan releases 2 years in advance...I hope this thread will encourage Warner to bump these classics up the schedule.

12. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I'd add The Life of Emile Zola to that list; Paul Muni is so neglected.

---
    So many films, so little time...

13. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I have seen King's Row just once some time ago but I remember Ann Sheridan and Claude Raines as just terrific. I even thought Ronald Reagan good enough to forget I was watching a president. I had no idea it was so old, assuming it was from the late 40s or early 50s. Knowing that now changes my perspective because I agree, it's extremely ambitious for its time period. Warner excelled at the human drama stories and their films from this era prove that a solid cast and crew with a good story is all a film really needs to be provacative. King's Row

I confess I don't remember the score at all but being a sucker for good film scores I'll be sure to grab it when it comes out.