What's new

A Possible "Amityville Horror" Special Edition? (1 Viewer)

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I know, and I mean how are you running it if not in mono one channel......

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I responded when you did...LOL....you are right...it is coming through the center channel only. But I think the scratching sound is part of the deterioration of the soundtrack.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I remember reading the book when I was in High School and it totally scaring the crap out of me so of course the movie suffered in comparison. I wanted to be scared but wasn't. Hopefully the new one will be better. Ryan Reynolds is in it so thats a plus.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I live just minutes from the real house in Long Island and go there often just to check it out; it has changed much since the events of the Amityville Horror in the 1970s...I dont think Ryan Reynolds was a good choice for this remake; I mean, American International casts James Brolin in the lead of George Lutz, and Brolin looked much older than Reynolds does playing the same role; Brolin's age is much more inline with how old the real George Lutz was when these incidents took place. Reynolds looks way too young in this; it just does not look believable.

Add to that, the trailer makes this film look like another "Ring" or "The Grudge" with flash-quick editing, glowing eyes of possessed things, and the typical MTV-style of filmmaking today in order to keep the attention of teenagers who wont go see these pictures unless there is enough action and rapid pacing and actors in the film they can recognize from their generation...most of the youngsters going to see these remakes a la Texas Chainsaw and Amityville Horror, never even saw the original films that inspired the remakes, nor do they have any idea what kind of social impact the films had at the time of their release.

As I said, watching the trailer, I saw --- in what has become typical in Hollywood now with extremely fast-paced teaser trailers --- glowing eyes of possessed people, a priest being attacked by flies, and creepy little girls...I really thought this remake was going to be inline more with Anson's novel which was psychologically questioning George and Kathy Lutz's sanity and whether or not these things were really going on at 112 Ocean Avenue; I know the priest being attacked by flies and the invisible pig-creature the Lutz's daughter named "Jody" were documented in the Amityville Horror novel, but this just seems like its going to be miles behind the original in terms of style. The look of the house is totally wrong, too, and the area looks NOTHING like Long Island where they filmed this remake; the house they used for the original film was in Toms River, New Jersey, and was creepier than the story itself!

The mockup footage of Ronald De Feo after the murders used in the trailer looked terrible; the guy didnt even look like De Feo. Some of the headlines from the papers were never printed. And, the address of the house has been totally changed. I dont get it.

Good job, MGM/Dimension. But really, what should I have expected from the firm that handled the tail end of the Halloween franchise films that ended up starring Busta Rhymes screaming "HAPPY HALLOWEEN MOTHA FUCKA.....":thumbsdown:

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
DVD Answers has some box art up for MGM's forthcoming AMITYVILLE BOX set!

The first three films plus a disc of documentaries all for a low price. Cool deal.

AMITYVILLE 3-D is included, too, but no word about whether any sort of 3-D version will be included along with the modified flat print. We DON'T need a horrible red/blue anaglyph version such as the unwatchable one that appears on the R2 DVD....it looks awful and nothing like the original polarized, clear glasses 3-D version. Trust me, you don't want to see an anglyph conversion. It is probably next to impossible to expect a field sequential version, so the flat version will have to do. At least it will be in the original 2:35 to 1 ratio for the first time on U.S. home video.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

Are you SERIOUS? This is GREAT news! How did MGM get rights to II and III, though? Oh, well, yeah....II was originally Orion, right, and so was III....so that would make sense that the Lion would put out a box set trilogy.....I GOTTA go check this out now....thanks a lot man!

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the article on DVD Answers....wow...this is what I was waiting for...but I have some concerns, friends:

-First of all, this is far from complete because there is still Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes (which I own on DVD and looks and sounds great for made for TV film), Amityville 1992: Its About Time, The Amityville Curse, Amityville: A New Generation and Amityville Dollhouse. However, I think I'll live without these titles because one through three were clearly the best. Of course, MGM only has rights to these three, so....

-WHY the hell did they give Amityville II a mono track when one and three are getting 5.1? The Possession could GREATLY benefit from 5.1 with real spooky noises in the house...my favorite film in the series only gets mono...once again....:frowning:

-The box art on II and III, and the subtitle print below the house, looks terrible....the house looks cool, but every box is the same shot...the house with the windows...where is the creepy VHS box cover art for Amityville II, with the windows glowing blue? Where is the demon claw smashing out of the window as on the original artwork for Amityville 3-D? Dissapointing.

-I really HOPE the audio sounds a bit better in these 5.1 mixes for The Amityville Horror and Amityville 3-D. After Rocky, Im not getting my hopes up.

Thanks a lot for that info----this is a much-anticipated purchase for me!!!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i hope the first films transfer/print is much improved.
if it is, i won't mind double dipping as the film continues to be a guilty pleasure for me.

curious about the trailer(s) for this film- i seem to recall seeing a teaser for this and the way i remembered it was shots of newspaper clippings interspersed with (still shots?) of rain and wind lashing the house(?).
my memories are really fuzzy, but the impression the trailer gave me was radically different from what the actual film was- i remember thinking it must be a story that took place on a stormy seacoast(!?).
i was hoping i would see the same trailer on the previous disc, but i don't think thats it.
anyone else remember seeing anything like what i described?

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
"i hope the first films transfer/print is much improved.
if it is, i won't mind double dipping as the film continues to be a guilty pleasure for me.

curious about the trailer(s) for this film- i seem to recall seeing a teaser for this and the way i remembered it was shots of newspaper clippings interspersed with (still shots?) of rain and wind lashing the house(?).
my memories are really fuzzy, but the impression the trailer gave me was radically different from what the actual film was- i remember thinking it must be a story that took place on a stormy seacoast(!?).
i was hoping i would see the same trailer on the previous disc, but i don't think thats it.
anyone else remember seeing anything like what i described?"

Paul,

First of all, THE AMITYVILLE HORROR story kind of melds two tales together; I live 15 MINUTES from the REAL HOUSE in Amityville, Long Island, New York....I have been there many times, and have written multiple papers on the legends surrounding this house. In 1974, Ronald De Feo Jr. murdered his entire family in the house---that is fact. Why he did it and why he confessed so quicky are still mysteries to New York police, but it was probably because he was on multiple drugs and wanted to collect insurance money for his family's deaths. One year later, the Lutz family bought the house, and THEIR story is what THE AMITYVILLE HORROR was supposed to be about, based on Jay Anson's novel. They claim after 28 days or so, they were "driven" out of the house because of supernatural disturbances that MUST have driven Ronald De Feo to mass murder, too. Then, all kinds of stories about the house being built on Indian burial ground and demonic possession of Ronald De Feo came about. Professor Hans Holzer wrote a book, after interviewing De Feo in prison, called MURDER IN AMITYVILLE, and it was his take that De Feo was demonically possessed by demons infesting 112 Ocean Avenue. This book is what AMITYVILLE II: THE POSSESSION is LOOSELY based on.

Amityville itself sits on The Amityville River on Long Island's South Shore; your observations of a stormy seacoast are somewhat accurate, if not perfectly. Amityville is a waterfront community, mainly, but it is not stormy all the time, and there have been confirmed reports that the weather observations for the nights in question --- the De Feo murders and the night the Lutzes fleed 112 Ocean Avenue --- were actually inaccurate. I think the lightning storms and rain storms were put in the films and trailers for effect.

I dont remember seeing a teaser trailer like you mention for the original AMITYVILLE HORROR --- the current DVD has a really old, dated and LONG trailer for the film, in full length theatrical form.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the proposed box-set has been cancelled?

It was originally scheduled for release April 5th I believe, but now certain websites including DVDTimes which first brought us the news of the upcoming collection, is indicating that a Amityville: Special Edition is being released April 5th and Amazon.com among other retailers have it listed... but no mention of the previous hinted Amityville Collection.

Also, in the first cover art / specs for the proposed box set, we saw no branding of a Special Edition on the first Amityville Horror DVD and the only extras mentioned aside from the trailers and radio spots, were a video introduction, commentary track and documentary. The R2 Special Edition, which I assume will have the same content ported over for the upcoming R1 release, boasts multiple documentaries, two History Channel features and over four hours worth of extras. That certainly doesn't seem to match up with the previous specs announced for The Amityville Horror as presented in the Amityville Collection...

I'm curious if maybe the box-set has been cancelled and instead, the extras from the bonus disc have been added to the upcoming Amityville Horror: Special Edition to fill more content, hence the four hours of extras?

Does anyone have any idea?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
According to DVD Empire (a site I consider more than slightly reliable), on 4/5 the following titles will be released:

The Amityville Horror - Extras: Audio Commentary by Dr. Hans Holzer, PH.D. in parapsychology, "For God's Sake, Get Out!" Documentary, Radio Spots, Original Theatrical Trailer

Amityville 2: The Possession - No extras

Amityville 3-D - No extras

Amityville Horror Special Edition Giftset - Includes the three discs listed above, a ticket to the remake, and a fourth disc that includes two History Channel documentaries and "on location" footage of the remake.

Amityville 1 and 3: 5.1 & Widescreen Anamorphic
Amityville 2: Mono & Widescreen

English, French & Spanish subtitles on all.

I was originally planning on purchasing only Part 1, but with those two documentaries on the extra disc...I may just go for the whole set.

(Looking forward to the remake as well!)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

It looks like this will be anamorphic, as well. It's tough to tell from the small size of the back cover scan on the site, but MGM is using their current 16x9-enchanced logo on the back of the case. Compare to the back of New York, New York, a non-anamorphic transfer with a "LETTERBOX" logo on the back.

DJ

jon_farthing

Agent
It looks like the region 2 release is the first and fourth discs of the boxset. With 2 & 3 already out as special editions in the UK i'm guessing we wont see the boxset. I think the discs of 2 & 3 in the UK were not by MGM so you probably wont be getting the special features on those discs in region one (not that theres much to shout about, commentary tracks on each by film critics and the 3D part 3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justin2001
Recent bookmarks