What's new

A Possible "Amityville Horror" Special Edition? (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The BBFC have already begun to classify special features for a new DVD edition of the original in the UK, so of course we'll be seeing it in R1 also to tie in with the remake. See www.zetaminor.com for info.

The new R2 AMITYVILLE II disc is great.

The R2 AMITYVILLE 3-D disc doesn't have a good transfer at all.....well maybe the modified flat version is OK, but the truly awful red/blue 3-D anaglyph downconversion is pathetic.

It doesn't even come close to representing what the original 3-D version looks like. In theatres, the movie was shown in the polarized system using clear gray glasses, and it was reasonably effective with good depth and gimmicks that were pretty cool.

On the DVD, you are stuck with a blurry, color distorted, double image filled mess of transfer with gimmick shots that don't work.

Any time they try to convert a 3-D movie into red/blue anaglyph the results are almost always a disaster, and this one is worse than most. The glasses included in the package aren't even ideal for the transfer, you might get better results if you find some with slightly different colors.

Too bad they didn't include a field sequential version for LCD shutter glasses, as that format while not perfect, can at least approximate what the original 3-D looked like at home.

The only good thing about the R2 AMITYVILLE 3-D disc is that the film is finally seen uncut and in the original 2:35 to 1 ratio; as all previous discs have been cropped and edited, even the various Asian and European widescreen ones which were at 1:78 to 1. Most of these versions edited a large portion of the death scene of a major character, but the new R2 disc is intact in that regard.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
"I have to agree with Pat. The Amityville Horror isn't above Halloween, so why shouldn't it get a 5.1 makeover as well? And I'm getting SICK AND TIRED of other regions getting apparently better discs than us! Don't give me that "just buy a non region DVD player" stuff either. Why does Japan get DTS versions of movies that we never do? Oh well, rant over, we now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion."

Agreed, Jordan....why shouldnt America get the same---or better---discs than the rest of the world? This doesnt make sense to me; Region 2 gets Amityville II and III, and we dont? What is THAT all about? Different regions get a deluxe DTS version of Independence Day, but you cant get an Independence Day DVD here in the States with DTS? Does this make any sense?

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
"The BBFC have already begun to classify special features for a new DVD edition of the original in the UK, so of course we'll be seeing it in R1 also to tie in with the remake. See www.zetaminor.com for info.

The new R2 AMITYVILLE II disc is great.

The R2 AMITYVILLE 3-D disc doesn't have a good transfer at all.....well maybe the modified flat version is OK, but the truly awful red/blue 3-D anaglyph downconversion is pathetic.

It doesn't even come close to representing what the original 3-D version looks like. In theatres, the movie was shown in the polarized system using clear gray glasses, and it was reasonably effective with good depth and gimmicks that were pretty cool.

On the DVD, you are stuck with a blurry, color distorted, double image filled mess of transfer with gimmick shots that don't work.

Any time they try to convert a 3-D movie into red/blue anaglyph the results are almost always a disaster, and this one is worse than most. The glasses included in the package aren't even ideal for the transfer, you might get better results if you find some with slightly different colors.

Too bad they didn't include a field sequential version for LCD shutter glasses, as that format while not perfect, can at least approximate what the original 3-D looked like at home.

The only good thing about the R2 AMITYVILLE 3-D disc is that the film is finally seen uncut and in the original 2:35 to 1 ratio; as all previous discs have been cropped and edited, even the various Asian and European widescreen ones which were at 1:78 to 1. Most of these versions edited a large portion of the death scene of a major character, but the new R2 disc is intact in that regard."

Steve,

Thanks for the heads up....I will have to go on Zeta Minor and check out that story...

I think I read your comments about the horrid Amityville 3-D DVD that is out in Region 2 in the Multi Region board in here; was that you? Someone in there commented about the horrendous 3-D transfer that was done. What about the sound on these discs? Is the 5.1 audio good on Amityville II and III? I cant live with the horrendous audio and video on my Goodtimes VHS version of II much longer!

;)

PS Where in Vegas do you live? My parents live in Henderson; they moved out there about three years ago and they love it. I have been thinking of moving out there myself; I have been visiting Vegas since I was a little kid and know the town like the back of my hand.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Wow...

I just checked out that article on Zeta Minor, and it claims that the UK Special Edition of The Amityville Horror (while not confirmed at all) is supposed to contain LOADS of extras on this case....INCLUDING the History Channel documentaries I mentioned in my first post: "AMITYVILLE: THE HAUNTING" and "AMITYVILLE: HORROR OR HOAX?" Aside from that, there is supposed to be commentary from Professor Hans Holzer, who wrote the book "Murder in Amityville" (which Amityville II was based on)....if this came to be in Region 1, I would eat this up so quick...MGM, do the right thing here, like you did with Escape From New York, and offer a really, really cool, elaborate Collectors Edition of The Amityville Horror!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I bought one of the Cyberhomes at Radio Shack for $30 and it is multi region (if you hit a few buttons on the set up screen). I have another great little Norcent that is multi region as well that cost $50 a few years ago. Most of the low end models have hidden menus that you can make it multi region, all sorts of sites on the web will tell you how. Very easy, just a few buttons on the remote to press.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Are you serious? You can get these players at Radio Shack? How's the picture quality?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Yeah, tons of cheap players can be made region free with a simple remote code. These are easy to find on various websites. Takes all of 30 seconds.

I've got a Cyberhome 500 model that cost me $50, it works quite well and displays PAL anamorphic discs correctly on my NTSC TV. I think the Cyberhome 300 model (and some others) had some problems with that. A little research at on-line and you can find one that will suit your needs and budget.

My Cyberhome portable also plays PAL and non-R1 discs just fine.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, a Cyberhome is only a portable player? There are no home players they sell at the Rat Shack?

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
And Rat Shack sells them?

I think at this point Im probably gonna end up just waiting for the (hopefully) eventual Region 1 release of AT LEAST The Amityville Horror remaster...keeping my fingers crossed on Amityville II and III ever making it here....

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Yes, Radio Shack and other department stores sell Cyberhome and other players that can be made multiregion.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jon, I'll have to look into this when I have a second to breathe!

The main question for me is, getting back to the point of the post, will MGM do a Special Edition of Amityville Horror, with full blown 5.1 perhaps, in conjunction with the remake coming in '05. The ideas for the box art are endless; they could do something similar to what they did for Escape From New York, with raised lettering on the box and maybe even making the attic windows of the Amityville house raised, too...man, would that be cool for fans.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Yes, this is happening. It's isn't officially announced yet, but work is well underway. Just be patient, they are obviously timing this for when the remake is released.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Very cool Steve....thanks a mil!

PS Did you ever let me know where in Vegas you are located? My parents live in Henderson; are you far from there? I have been contemplating moving there for years now, but never seem to make it...do you like it there?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The sound on the current dvd of Amityville is horrible....constant scratching noises can be heard.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Are you running the mono track through the center channel only? I can detect a great deal of lack of dynamics on the track and some distortion when voices get raised, etc; its not the best mono mix in the world. I would sure love some kind of 5.1 remix along the lines of MGM's Escape From New York or Anchor Bay's Halloween.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot believe this....I just watched a trailer for the upcoming Amityville Horror remake online, and not only does the house look nothing like the real 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville (which we knew already), but the beginning of the trailer actually gets the ADDRESS OF THE HOUSE WRONG....it says "Amityville, Long Island, New York...124 Ocean Avenue..." or something like that....the ADDRESS IS WRONG...I cannot believe Dimension/MGM...were they not allowed to use the real address of the house? On top of that, the people they are using for George and Kathy Lutz, as well as the black and white mockup footage of the De Feo murders, look totally inaccurate....and from the clips that I saw, this seems to be another concentration on the sensationalized "ghost" story the Lutzes sold the public, instead of using Jay Anson's novel as a more psychological shocker...I saw glowing eyes, blood on the stairs and flies attacking a priest, once again....like the first film. Where is Rod Steiger when we need him?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not running it through only one channel...it's some kind of scratching sound on the track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justin2001
Recent bookmarks