A possibility about Sanford and Son Season 6...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Robert Cruz, May 17, 2005.

1. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Considering how Sony is not exactly trustworthy when it comes to keeping those special hour-long episodes in tact, it made me worry about the possibility of them using syndicated versions for the episode "The Hawaiian Connection (Part 1)" (originally, there were 2 parts, with the 1st part being an hour-long...in syndication, it's 3 half-hour parts). Let's just say it'll be a miracle of God if they keep all episodes in tact, including the one I mentioned...

2. Robbie^Blackmon

Robbie^Blackmon Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I've wondered about this particular episode, myself. First, there is the music issue: Will it still have the Hawaii 5-0 theme as well as the Don Ho tunes? Then, there's the B.B. King episode-- will the songs be intact? The release of the set was pushed back 6 months, after all (based on original reports of a January 2005 release).

Second, I don't think the original credits for the Hawaiian episode have been used since the first run. This was the only episode, as far as I can remember, to use up the entire ending film sequence (including the entire Street Beater theme) where Fred gets aggravated loading the truck and stomps off into the house.

Actually, if any of the original film sequences had survived, it would have been nice to see them as extras without the titles superimposed over them. What about the never used alternate opening with Grady in place of Fred? Heck, what about the stuff that is still around, like the loads of outtakes, rehearsal footage (b/w only) and behind the scnenes stuff?

Columbia/Sony/WhateverTheHeckTheyAreNow have really not done all they could with this series. As it stands, with the edited episodes, lack of extras (couldn't they at least include the edited footage in later sets??), right down to the repetitive photos on the disc cases, this show has been treated quite badly and what blows is there ain't a damn thing anyone can do about it. "Complete", my foot!

Something will be wrong, you watch!

See you later, hear?
    -Robbie

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    They never used the word complete, because if they did they'd be subjected to a lawsuit by now.

Are you sure this stuff exists. Maybe they can see how many fans are rich enough to double dip on whole seasons if so. You know they're thinking how they can find a way to jerk us around.

4. Robbie^Blackmon

Robbie^Blackmon Stunt Coordinator

MatthewA Wrote: "They never used the word complete..."

Yes, they did. Under Special Features on the back cover of Season Two (which contains edited episodes) look for:
    "Three-Disc Set Contains Complete Second Season"

B/w rehearsal footage exists, though I believe all tapes are owned by Redd's estate or private collectors. Brief snippets can be seen in the Redd Foxx biography that A&E produced.

The *opening and closing sequences* that were filmed for the show probably have been burned or turned to dust by now. At the time the show was made it was not common practice to hang on to elements like that.

A few bloopers (I hate that word) have turned up on television many years ago, but I would assume most might be too raunchy for broadcast (we're talking Redd Foxx here!).

I don't think we'll see a double-dip on this show or any others like The Jeffersons or Good Times (also edited episodes) and the like. If they are re-released we'll likely see the same "cut up" versions once again.

Still, things could be worse, I guess. Shows like Doctor Who have been so tweaked, picked over and refined and remixed to the point where some are nothing like the original broadcasts... either there's too little care given to TV on DVD, or there's too much.

Frustrating.

See you later, hear?
    -Robbie

==edited to reflect a better nomenclature. Is it string or is it twine?

5. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Actually in syndication it's always been rerun in 5 parts. That's how I've seen it a few times over the years. The story was videotaped on location in Hawaii both outdoors (including the beach) as well as on interior sets. There were never any filmed inserts. The scheduled release for Season 6 is June 7.

Guest stars in "The Hawaiian Connection" included Sheldon Leonard as the leader of the jewel thieves chasing Fred, Barbara Rhoades as his dimwitted partner in crime, and Ed McMahon (playing himself).

And no....Greg Morris guest starred in The Jeffersons multi-part show taped in Hawaii a few years later! [​IMG]

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Actually, I think it was the Jeffersons Hawaii episode that was 5 parts. The S&S Hawaii was only 3 in syndication.

7. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

There's more than one Season 2 episode that is edited on the DVD set? What other episodes in the Seasons 1-5 sets are edited?

The Hawaii episodes used the Mission Impossible theme at one point too. I wonder what Sony will do with that?

8. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I would be very surprised if B.B. King wouldn't allow his songs to be put on the DVD, because he performed them himself on stage! It's an integral part of that Sanford and Son episode! [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

Regarding Season 6, do you think stores like Wal*Mart, Target, Hastings, etc. will stock any copies with the photo booklet or am I going to have to order online to get the booklet?

10. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

Here's a review.

Good news regarding "The Hawaiian Connection." The review lists it as being presented as two episodes, not three as it is in syndication. That booklet sounds really nice too.

11. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    I'm in a cranky mood today, and something in that review really aggravated me. It was this:

*** Lear apparently didn't exactly use the highest quality film stock, because "Sanford & Son" hasn't aged well. The picture is hazy, the colors washed out ... ***

I certainly don't expect the guy we call Joe Six Pack around here to know the difference between film and videotape, but you'd think someone who has the nerve to review DVDs on the Internet would know the difference.

It's not just that he should know his TV history and know that the Lear shows were on tape, not film -- he should know JUST BY LOOKING!