A Popup ad that won't go away!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vickie_M, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I'm shaking with anger right now. I clicked on a link and with it came a pop up that has no "close" button, either on the ad itself or when I right click on the Taskbar (using Windows 2000 here) and it doesn't show up in the File manager.

HOW do I get rid of this thing short of shutting down altogether? Since the ad was obviously put up by sneaky, slimy, lower-than-the-lowest "life" form, god knows what's been put on my computer. How do I find out if this thing left a slime trail?

2. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Hit control alt delete and it will give you an option to shut down the pop up ad without having to shut down your computer.

Been there, done that.

3. GaryBrown

GaryBrown Extra

I recently had a virus slip into my computer and this website was very helpful. It was much more helpful than the help/tech support of microsoft.com.
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/about.html
    Click on the search button on the right hand column and do a search on "pop up" for starters. Good luck.

4. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Thanks Eve and Gary. It was listed in the Task Manager, but I didn't see it the first look through because I had about 20 web pages open. I ended up closing them all and the one that was left was the one that wouldn't go away. A quick End Task killed it. I would have seen it if I hadn't had so many windows open.

Still, that's just evil. I've seen web pages with no close button at the top, but this is the first I've seen where if you right click on the Taskbar button, there's no close option.

I don't "surf" the net anywhere near what I used to, just because of this kind of crap. I have a few places I go to and rarely go beyond them. These things are making the web smaller. Bastards.

Oh, if I had Carrie powers, these people would be toast!

5. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Vickie lol.

You might want to consider ad aware which tells you if your computer has spy ware on it which can sometimes slip into your computer without your knowledge from different web pages or programs you might dl from the web. It's free and it cleans out those nasty spyware creatures.
    Just type in a search for ad aware in your search browser.

6. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

The easiest way to close heinous pop-ups of that kind is to hold down the "Ctrl" key then hit the "w" key.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Vickie, I'm sorry about that link, I didn't know it had a pop-up like that. I use a propgram called Pop-Up Stopper (avaliable here: http://www.panicware.com/product_downloads.html ), so I don't see the pop-up ads anymore (I'd had enough of those X-10 ads!). Try it out, it really works great.
    /Mike

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Not sure about Windows 2000, but with 95 and 98 you can just hit Alt-F4. That will close the active window.

9. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

An alternative when surfing is to set your internet security to HIGH. The problem with this is it blocks cookies, which let sites like HTF know who you are. Still, if you find a link you'd like to try, it works well.

On Internet Explorer, go to TOOLS, select INTERNET OPTIONS, click SECURITY, move the slider up to HIGH, then click APPLY, then OK. Although your interactivity with web sites will be limited, you won't have to worry about popup ads and other types of sneaky stuff that happens.

You can also use a custom setting, and re-enable some things like cookies & allow downloading of files after setting to HIGH. Just click the CUSTOM button under the security tab and select your options.

Happy surfing!

Mike D.

10. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

11. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

download Ad-Aware. This will get rid of most spyware on your computer. Some spyware can cause these types of ad's to "pop" up.
    Ad Aware