What's new

A pleasant surprise with Comcast Digital Cable (1 Viewer)

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Who woulda thunk??
So who else knew these guys actually send a DD5.1 bitstream? After calling customer service to ask about whether the digital audio out jack on the back of the Explorer 2100 does anything, and getting silence on the other end of the line, I hooked it up to my processor and here's what I got:
-All digital channels over 100 are DD2.0
-All premium channels over 300 are either DD2.0 or DD5.1
-All music channels over 400 are 16 bit 48 kHz PCM
Man am I happy :emoji_thumbsup: .

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Dammit! My Comcast digital cable has no jack where it says DIGITAL OUT. Maybe I can call them and see about a replacement or something...

Robert Cranwell

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, What system do you live in ? If you e-mail me I can get you a better breakdown on the digital.
[email protected] There are some tweaks internally on a menu, plus I have a monthly break-down of what is in 5.1 from each service. HBO,Showtime,etc..
Rob

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Damn you're lucky. I also have Comcast, and my box doesn't even have S-video out, let alone a digital output.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Any advice for poor old me in Washington, DC? The digital picture looks pretty good for cable, but I want digital sound--BAD!

I have called customer service and sent several emails, but I have never received a knowledgeable answer.

-Chris

ChrisB

Stunt Coordinator
What about Michigan? The cable box says "Dolby Digital" but there is no S video out, no optical or digital coax out, what a rip off. I am paying 94 dollars a month for this so called "Digital Cable". I will say though the broadband internet is awsome, I am the only person on my node, plus I souped up my settings so I am getting super fast downloads. Anybody know when Michigan will get out of the stone age, I read about all of these other Comsast customers with real digital boxs paying the same thing I am paying. What if I were to buy a diffrent box would it work?

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
chrisB,

So,the siyuation is still the same after 2-3 years, eh?. I had mediaone "digital" cable. No S-video even. When dish came up with the free install option, I took it and have never even thought about cable again. Now that it's Comcast, I thoght that things may have improved, but not really it seems like.

IMHO, cable will never beat satellite TV (at least Dish network) in quantity/quality.

BTW, I also have comcast high speed internet. You said that ypu have souped up your setting to get lightning fast downloads. Would you tell me how?

Thanks.

Well, Comcast Digital, here in Little Rock doesn't support DD5.1. My box has the optical connection, but the system does not send the signal. I've had their digital service for over two years. These people, at least locally, are clueless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks