Battle of the Bulge
Grand Prix
Hamlet

There are others both from Warner and from other studios:

Ice Station Zebra
Airport
Exodus
Krakatoa: East of Java

There is also a number of (Super)Technirama productions where the Blu-ray goes back to a standard 35mm 4-perf IP, like Zulu or Custer of the West.

raphdude

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to see them release a high quality HD version of Fort Apache, the Bronx (1981), one of Paul Newman's finest! It's never even been available in 16:9 SD.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I wish now I hadn't got Airport or Zulu but the reviews of the blurays were excellent. Thought they were from original negatives. Saw Airport at Radio City in Todd AO in the '70 Easter show and it looked and sounded great.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I wish now I hadn't got Airport or Zulu but the reviews of the blurays were excellent. Thought they were from original negatives. Saw Airport at Radio City in Todd AO in the '70 Easter show and it looked and sounded great.

The reviews often are but having seen proper releases of some large format movies it is not that difficult to spot the difference these days. On the other hand you probably got these very long ago so if you wanted to watch them at home this was the best you could get. Agreed on Airport that really looks great in 70mm and I am still waiting to watch Zulu another time but not from the currently available Blu-ray's. Hopefully in 70mm or from a remastered Blu-ray as I find both available transfers to be disappointing.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, typical conversation, going off the subject. Warner have revisited some titles: the Kubrick films, Batman (& I'm sure the world really needed a 4K Batman Forever & Batman And Robin) & Goodfellas & I'm sure a few more, so hopefully they're working on a few titles suggested here.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, typical conversation, going off the subject. Warner have revisited some titles: the Kubrick films, Batman (& I'm sure the world really needed a 4K Batman Forever & Batman And Robin) & Goodfellas & I'm sure a few more, so hopefully they're working on a few titles suggested here.

They also have revisited Once Upon a Time in America - I would hope they'll revisit it again!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Once Upon a Time in America (and most other Regency titles) are no longer with Warner.
Well if the new company on the block is willing to regrade Once Upon a Time I am all for it but I would still have preferred for Warner to do it.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
1) Doctor Zhivago - a few years ago Zhivago was shown theatrically in a sparkling new restoration that unfortunately leaves its Blu-ray counterpart looking very much like the poor cousin.

Can you reference that? I'm skeptical. :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah, it was an independent production & the producer (Saul Zaentz) is dead now, so who knows who owns it.

I believe Zaentz's estate still controls the output of Fantasy Films/Saul Zaentz Company, or at the very least the films released by UA and Orion, which Amadeus falls under. They also own and decide what gets done with the negative.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
With Lawrence and Kwai out on 4K utra bluray I would have thought David Lean's Dr Zhivago would be perfect for the 4K treatment on disc especially as a 4Krestoration was carried out a few years ago in collaboration with the BFI and Warner's . Lets see this happen.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Wasn't Kwai in Cinemascope? I never cease to be amazed how these films can be enhanced in 4k. I would think beyond bluray there would be no point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks