these need English Blu rays:
The Year of Living Dangerously
Besieged
John Fords The Fugitive which needs a Restoration

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I haven't looked at Gigi yet but it got an excellent review on Bluray.com. Not for the film itself but for the remastering. Also American in Paris. So I'm surprised to see those two here. I've seen the AAIP bluray and I think it's gorgeous and I've seen it a number of times years ago in beautiful prints at the Regency which had excellent technicolor prints back in the 70s. It can be better? Wow.
Strange that Warners released Summer Stock when there are so many other better MGM musicals that now might never see the light of day including Garland films.
I don't know who owns The Hallelujah Trail at this point but supposedly that was done poorly from a 35mm negative. What's the point? Maybe the Ultra Panavision elements are long gone?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
You'll have to convince Disney to do that; they own the rights to that movie now.

Pardon my ignorance, but when did Disney acquire the rights to Once Upon a Time in America?

I don't know who owns The Hallelujah Trail at this point but supposedly that was done poorly from a 35mm negative. What's the point? Maybe the Ultra Panavision elements are long gone?

Unfortunately, The Hallelujah Trail is with MGM, and after Robert Harris’ most recent update on the situation with The Alamo, I don’t have much hope for this film getting a proper restoration.

MovieFan85

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I think director Barry Levinson's 1982 comedy-drama DINER deserves a 4K or 2K restoration from Warner Archive.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I haven't looked at Gigi yet but it got an excellent review on Bluray.com. Not for the film itself but for the remastering. Also American in Paris. So I'm surprised to see those two here. I've seen the AAIP bluray and I think it's gorgeous and I've seen it a number of times years ago in beautiful prints at the Regency which had excellent technicolor prints back in the 70s. It can be better? Wow.
Strange that Warners released Summer Stock when there are so many other better MGM musicals that now might never see the light of day including Garland films.

Not too strange. That was one that already had a pretty good transfer on DVD and didn't need AS MUCH work to upgrade (compared to, say, The Pirate, which they have indicated would need a lot of work). I *suspect* the problem comes at least partly back to the whole "more popular films are generally in worse shape" thing. Also considering it is, as I said before, their first new-to-blu pre-1954 MGM musical, I suspect another part of the problem has to do with aspect ratios, as the widescreen movies might have had more work done to prep them for DVD (since they would have had to do new transfers instead of the old pan-and-scan stuff), and the earlier films may not have had as much work done (which would just make it more expensive now, especially if too many people are buying those films on sale as opposed to full price).

MovieFan85

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I just thought of another great movie that could sure use a restoration from Warner Archive: The 1981 comedy classic ARTHUR.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm confused by your statement about Grand Prix on Blu-ray coming from a 35mm reduction. The HD-DVD, possibly. But the Blu-ray cover specifically states it was transferred from original 65mm elements.
20200131_140831.jpg

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Pardon my ignorance, but when did Disney acquire the rights to Once Upon a Time in America?

It was one of those Regency titles that Warner distributed up until about a few years ago. Fox released a Blu-Ray recently and the Vudu release is credited to 20th Century Fox as well. And then Disney bought Fox, so there you go.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I would like to add to blu ray and 4K

Woodstock, both original and director cuts. Since Michael Wadleigh upgraded the sound to Dolby Digital in 1994, he can upgrade to Atmos.

Oliver Stone’s JFK. Again, both theatrical and directors cuts. The theatrical hasn’t been seen in ages. Again, an Atmos mix like they did for The Doors last year.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
It was one of those Regency titles that Warner distributed up until about a few years ago. Fox released a Blu-Ray recently and the Vudu release is credited to 20th Century Fox as well. And then Disney bought Fox, so there you go.
Well Arnon Milchan, whose company has been based at Fox (now 20th-Disney) for some years, still controls certain rights to this; his Embassy International Pictures company* produced the movie. But Milchan's early '80s deal for domestic rights with the Ladd Co. gave that company US/Canada distribution on all levels for, it is said, the duration of the copyright. To my knowledge, that deal is still in effect; Warners, which now owns the Ladd Co., brought out that longer print some years ago, and WB has been distributing the movie in TV syndication
From my Friend

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Well Arnon Milchan, whose company has been based at Fox (now 20th-Disney) for some years, still controls certain rights to this; his Embassy International Pictures company* produced the movie. But Milchan's early '80s deal for domestic rights with the Ladd Co. gave that company US/Canada distribution on all levels for, it is said, the duration of the copyright. To my knowledge, that deal is still in effect; Warners, which now owns the Ladd Co., brought out that longer print some years ago, and WB has been distributing the movie in TV syndication
From my Friend

This is from the back cover of one of the recent BD releases. It has the "R" rating symbol in the center and the Fox logo at the bottom.

s-l1600.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
how about some of the movies that never made it to bluray yet??? let's start there.
Yes, but in a different thread. This one is about Warners re-visiting Blu-ray titles already released.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
These are the top 5 that I would like to see revisited:

Mutiny on the Bounty
Battle of the Bulge
Rio Bravo
The Searchers
The Wild Bunch

I would think that among these The Wild Bunch has the least potential for improvement but I like that movie a lot and it surely could show more detail that it currently does.

Rio Bravo and The Searchers look to be on the brownish/yellow side of correct colors and Rio Bravo also has very little detail that goes beyond DVD resolutioin.

Battle of the Bulge and Mutiny on the Bounty have huge potential because they were lavish Ultra Panavision 70 productions and they also both come from old HD-DVD era masters that even back then were only considered OK at best.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
So why are blurays of 70mm films coming from 35mm ips? In better condition than the original 70mm negative or that doesn't exist anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks