What's new

International A PLACE IN THE SUN coming to Blu-ray from Imprint Films! (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They are a good site to check occasionally. I've gotten to prefer Sanity for my AUS orders -- prices aren't always as good, but shipping costs are often less, they refund GST at time of order, and the pre virus their shipping times were about twice as fast.

Not AUS related, but noted that most AmazonUK new orders to the US had been blocked again. Nothing I've checked in my Save list which was shippable last week is eligible now even at priority shipping rates.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
For those who have ordered directly from Imprint/ViaVision recently, how long did it take to receive your order from the time it was shipped?

willyTass

Supporting Actor
And who says crime doesn’t pay? Ha ha

E8900D87-5509-437C-AEDB-7B9ECCFDF8CB.jpeg 1082176C-7303-4F6C-A95A-E1CF113C54F3.jpeg C4198AAA-377B-4C12-A646-48E1EF7521FB.jpeg C208A4FB-5A5C-4C3C-819E-42BFDF53EB51.jpeg A21EB4F7-613F-4B2C-B402-0D19474F1C25.jpeg

willyTass

Supporting Actor
There are so many Black and white films that look outstanding on 2k resolution that you wander what is the point of a UHD. Arrow’s The Apartment springs to mind

ive loved this film for many decades and like many had to suffer the abysmal Paramount DVD

touted as a 4k effort from the original camera negative I placed this disc in my Oppo with my heart pumping at a million miles per hour. Disclaimer : I am a huge George Stevens fan
pioneer kuro KRP 500m isf calibrated - still the king of 1080p and colour accuracy.

well, in short, it annihilates the DVD.

Film grain compression is outstanding.
pausing the iconic scene when Mr Clift confesses his love for Ms Taylor the film grain looks splendid- no blockiness.Transfer hasn’t been edge enhanced

bitrates routinely hover around 33mbps

audio is either DTS-MASTER AUDIO HD AT 5.1. Or a 2 channel PCM track - either or trounces the DVD audio

i breathed a sigh of relief - we finally can bin the DVD

thank you VIAVISION for supporting classic films and physical media .

also the pressing quality of these discs is excellent . Better than that of Mexico as I’ve had a few Warner archive titles arrived scratched.

ill try to post some pics tonight

Andrew I think you will be happy with this, but I still think they shoulda cast Tallulah Bankhead in the lead.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Since it was asked earlier here or a different thread -- do you have the ability to check region coding (same question with Carpetbaggers)?
Not that I trust covers anyway, but I don't see any Region markings on the back cover.

I'm assuming you are AUS?

Sounds like a premium effort befitting the movie.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I’ve just checked

they are region free for both titles

i have an oppo which I can select region A or region B

yes I’m in australia, one of the rare cases of having an advantage in living here LOL

Honestly I can think of a ton of good reasons to consider AUS in a normal year though most unrelated to Blurays and in 2020 about 177000 (and counting as of 10pm ET) additional reasons. I have considered it seriously at least half dozen times in the last 45 years even to the point of carrying some mostly filled out paperwork around for a few years.

I had the blonde/red hair, freckles, and non tannable skin already laid in so could have blended in pretty easily

willyTass

Supporting Actor
If you love working for Uber Eats come on down

we have no industry left just about

all our factories have moved to Asia

our youth graduate with worthless degrees and a $60,000 university debt

houses cost a million dollars with no back yard

like many countries Australia has been destroyed by corrupt politicians and central bankers . A nation Gone With the Wind

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
On the other side of the all that stuff -- more of a feet on the ottoman watching the trees sway checking the TV schedule for the day.

I do have some friends who tell me about their klds have in the upper 100K student debt with a humanities degree with a 2.01 GPA (out of 4) after 7-8 years of wonderful Private University partying now complaining they have to work at Starbucks -- or more like refusing to take the Starbucks job b/c it's beneath them while complaining about those 'others/not Us' types stealing their job. 6 years of being pre-law didn't seem to sink in and literally always makes me replay Animal House in my head.

Enough of that before somebody gets into trouble.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If you love working for Uber Eats come on down

we have no industry left just about

all our factories have moved to Asia

our youth graduate with worthless degrees and a $60,000 university debt

houses cost a million dollars with no back yard

like many countries Australia has been destroyed by corrupt politicians and central bankers . A nation Gone With the Wind
I'm very sorry to learn that.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
There are so many Black and white films that look outstanding on 2k resolution that you wander what is the point of a UHD. Arrow’s The Apartment springs to mind

ive loved this film for many decades and like many had to suffer the abysmal Paramount DVD

touted as a 4k effort from the original camera negative I placed this disc in my Oppo with my heart pumping at a million miles per hour. Disclaimer : I am a huge George Stevens fan
pioneer kuro KRP 500m isf calibrated - still the king of 1080p and colour accuracy.

well, in short, it annihilates the DVD.

Film grain compression is outstanding.
pausing the iconic scene when Mr Clift confesses his love for Ms Taylor the film grain looks splendid- no blockiness.Transfer hasn’t been edge enhanced

bitrates routinely hover around 33mbps

audio is either DTS-MASTER AUDIO HD AT 5.1. Or a 2 channel PCM track - either or trounces the DVD audio

i breathed a sigh of relief - we finally can bin the DVD

thank you VIAVISION for supporting classic films and physical media .

also the pressing quality of these discs is excellent . Better than that of Mexico as I’ve had a few Warner archive titles arrived scratched.

ill try to post some pics tonight

Andrew I think you will be happy with this, but I still think they shoulda cast Tallulah Bankhead in the lead.

I'm so happy (and relieved!) to read your glowing review! Thanks for posting it, along with the great photos of the packaging. I had seen a beautiful DCP based on the 4K restoration several years ago and was hoping that this Blu-ray would accurately reflect that, but we all know how things can go awry. I've ordered my copy from Amazon, and it can't arrive soon enough!

Thank you!!

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am so happy to hear about the quality of this release. Thank You.

I have never seen this film

I am going to await the domestic announcement from Paramount. Should be the same transfer.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I’ve not seen the 4k DCP of A Place in the Sun

what impression I do get , that whilst we are grateful Paramount are releasing catalogue again, I don’t think they are swinging like they were when Ron Smith was there. Now those transfers were something.

white vader

Agent
Real Name
Matt
There are so many Black and white films that look outstanding on 2k resolution that you wander what is the point of a UHD.

I sure don't 'wander', not for a minute. And I don't quite follow the logic that if something looks great, why bother with something potentially better?

And both B&W and increased rez can absolutely benefit in the same way they did from the jump from VHS to LD, and then to DVD, then to Blu. Grain resolution (in the sense of resolving it properly and accurately, as well as implicit resolution issues) is one reason, and HDR can benefit B7W just as easily as it does colour. What is the point? That instead of a paltry 256 levels/greyscale values, it jumps to 1024 and the tonal range extends accordingly. Look at the gorgeousness of The Elephant Man on UHD!

I absolutely agree regular Blus can be stunning. I often view them in a full sized cinema and it's amazing how well they hold up. But when comparing to UHD, it's been amazing to see especially with the HDR, just how much better it can be.

It's not necessarily the WOW stuff, but the revelations in colour/values/visual subtlety and extra shadings we didn't realise we weren't getting with regular blu. And while the increases will be exponentially smaller as we go, they're also exponentially closer to the original films. Accuracy is the big thing for me.

So yeah just a friendly post to say no way, I don't wonder at all. Cheers.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...And while the increases will be exponentially smaller as we go, they're also exponentially closer to the original films. Accuracy is the big thing for me...
Well, sort of. You're getting closer to capturing everything that was recorded onto a piece of film, but further away from what it looked like in the cinema when it was new. A 35mm release print in projection doesn't have the kind of colour, dynamic range or anywhere near the resolution that a 4K disc does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks