What's new

International A PLACE IN THE SUN coming to Blu-ray from Imprint Films! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Andrea Kalas has confirmed A Place in the Sun will be released in North America as well!

I'm going to stick with my preorder of the Imprint release (need to get any Elizabeth Taylor movie in my hands as quickly as possible!), and will pick up Paramount's release when it becomes available as well.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
While the film is not a favorite of mine, I'll probably opt for the Imprint import as opposed to the upcoming Paramount domestic issue because of the packaging. This is assuming, of course, that the transfers are more or less equal.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
While the film is not a favorite of mine, I'll probably opt for the Imprint import as opposed to the upcoming Paramount domestic issue because of the packaging. This is assuming, of course, that the transfers are more or less equal.

I would optimistically say the transfers will be exact.

Restorations are expensive. I can't see Paramount doing one for a certain market and one for another

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you buy that Imprint disc here, you're going to pay a lot more money. Do we even know what the packaging will look like on the domestic BD?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If you buy that Imprint disc here, you're going to pay a lot more money. Do we even know what the packaging will look like on the domestic BD?

It would depend on whether it is released domestically as part of the Paramount Presents! line (like To Catch A Thief or the upcoming Roman Holiday) or a regular blu ray release (like the upcoming Sons Of Katie Elder and Barefoot In The Park). I'm assuming such a "distinguished" film would be released as part of the Paramount Presents! line with all that cardboard junk which I detest.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It would depend on whether it is released domestically as part of the Paramount Presents! line (like To Catch A Thief or the upcoming Roman Holiday) or a regular blu ray release (like the upcoming Sons Of Katie Elder and Barefoot In The Park). I assuming such a "distinguished" film would be released as part of the Paramount Presents! line with all that cardboard junk which I detest.
If you buy the Imprint disc from DD or Amazon, it will still be more expensive than the Paramount Presents! line.

Reactions: PMF

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If you buy the Imprint disc from DD or Amazon, it will still be more expensive than the Paramount Presents! line.

Oh, I understand that. It shows you how much I detest that cardboard junk packaging in that I'm willing to pay more money just to avoid it. I did get the Imprint War Of The Worlds on e-bay from a third party seller at a reasonable price so there's always that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oh, I understand that. It shows you how much I detest that cardboard junk packaging in that I'm willing to pay more money just to avoid it. I did get the Imprint War Of The Worlds on e-bay from a third party seller at a reasonable price so there's always that.
If you don't mind me asking, what was that reasonable price?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It would be cheaper to buy the domestic release of "A Place in the Sun" get another BD case for it than it is to buy the Imprint BD from a domestic retailer. Also, you can do the following. This "Sunshine" 15% code expires tomorrow. Still more expensive than the domestic release is going to be, but it's more reasonable than the $38 you paid for "The War of the Worlds". Of course, your Cali sales tax might be higher than my Michigan 6%.

emAvailabilityQtyPriceTotal
Subtotal
Promo Code: SUNSHINE
Standard Shipping
Sales Tax
Total
$4.68

6%
Subtotal$31.18
Promo Code$4.68)
Standard Shipping$0.00
Sales Tax$1.59
Total$28.09
Product Image A Place in the Sun [Import]
Blu-ray
Release date: 9/4/2020

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It would be cheaper to buy the domestic release of "A Place in the Sun" get another BD case for it than it is to buy the Imprint BD from a domestic retailer. Also, you can do the following. This "Sunshine" 15% code expires tomorrow. Still more expensive than the domestic release is going to be, but it's more reasonable than the $38 you paid for "The War of the Worlds". Of course, your Cali sales tax might be higher than my Michigan 6%.

emAvailabilityQtyPriceTotal
Subtotal
Promo Code: SUNSHINE
Standard Shipping
Sales Tax
Total
$4.68

6%
Subtotal$31.18
Promo Code$4.68)
Standard Shipping$0.00
Sales Tax$1.59
Total$28.09
Product Image A Place in the Sun [Import]
Blu-ray
Release date: 9/4/2020

I don't pre-order EVER! If I can't wait for something, I pay full price without any regrets. I recently purchased the KL film noir box vol. 4 set at full price. If I had waited another week, I could have gotten it a lot less when they put their most recent sale into effect. Am I miffed? Not hardly :) No doubt I'll have to pay more for A Place In The Sun but it's no big deal. I've purchased blu rays from Europe like Red River and The Man Who Would Be King because I hated their domestic packaging. A costly idiosyncrasy but it's my money! ;) You weren't an accountant before you retired, were you?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't pre-order EVER! If I can't wait for something, I pay full price without any regrets. I recently purchased the KL film noir box vol. 4 set at full price. If I had waited another week, I could have gotten it a lot less when they put their most recent sale into effect. Am I miffed? Not hardly :) No doubt I'll have to pay more for A Place In The Sun but it's no big deal. I've purchased blu rays from Europe like Red River and The Man Who Would Be King because I hated their domestic packaging. A costly idiosyncrasy but it's my money! ;) You weren't an accountant before you retired, were you?
How you actually spend your dollars is your personal business. When I posted that information it wasn't just for your benefit, but for any other HTF member. I try to informed the membership about disc releases and whenever I see any kind of deal whether disc or digital related. What they do after that is their business!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Some additional price comparisons

Another option is to purchase the Imprint version from JBHifi. It could be cheaper than purchasing domestically.

For example, I purchased When Worlds Collide for $26.59 total. The current price domestically is $44.99 plus tax on Amazon, $26.50 plus tax on Deep Discount (after 15% discount).

A current Paramount Presents (Pretty In Pink) is $27.99 on Amazon, $16.94 on DD (pre-tax, after discount).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some additional price comparisons

Another option is to purchase the Imprint version from JBHifi. It could be cheaper than purchasing domestically.

For example, I purchased When Worlds Collide for $26.59 total. The current price domestically is $44.99 plus tax on Amazon, $26.50 plus tax on Deep Discount (after 15% discount).

A current Paramount Presents (Pretty In Pink) is $27.99 on Amazon, $16.94 on DD (pre-tax, after discount).
David,

Thank you for that information as I don't know anything about JBHifi. Where are they located? Also, To Catch a Thief another Paramount Presents is less than $18 on Amazon.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David,

Thank you for that information as I don't know anything about JBHifi. Where are they located? Also, To Catch a Thief another Paramount Presents is less than $18 on Amazon.

JB is basically Best Buy in Australia. I've ordered many times from them, but not too much lately. Shipping was 2-3 weeks average in normal times, now seems about double that (no tracking). They will occasionally have some BOGO and 20-30% off everything sales which can be quite good, but not all items are eligible to ship out of AUS so it can be a bit frustrating.

A couple quirks
They will refund their approx 10% GST, but you have to contact them after the fact to do it

Their order system has been messed up for several months at the PHONE line. it doesn't seem to want to accept anything other than an AUS Mobile number so they've told people to use 4 0000 0000 or 4 1234 5678 as a default number

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JB is basically Best Buy in Australia. I've ordered many times from them, but not too much lately. Shipping was 2-3 weeks average in normal times, now seems about double that (no tracking). They will occasionally have some BOGO and 20-30% off everything sales which can be quite good, but not all items are eligible to ship out of AUS so it can be a bit frustrating.

A couple quirks
They will refund their approx 10% GST, but you have to contact them after the fact to do it

Their order system has been messed up for several months at the PHONE line. it doesn't seem to want to accept anything other than an AUS Mobile number so they've told people to use 4 0000 0000 or 4 1234 5678 as a default number
Yeah, I think I'll stay away from them until this pandemic gets under control world-wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
problemwithstory
Recent bookmarks