1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

A pet peeve: People licking their fingers before handing over a piece of paper.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Oct 8, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

This is a pet peeve of mine. I don't like it when someone licks their fingers before handing me a piece of paper. The idea of someone's saliva on a piece of paper in my hand just gives me a case of the heebie jeebies. On my way home from work this evening, I dropped some clothes off at the dry cleaner. Just before handing me a receipt for pick-up, the owner licked his fingers in order to separate the store copy from my copy. When I took the receipt from his hand, I could hear the sound of the paper slightly sticking to his fingers. Yuck! [​IMG] I just hate that. I know it can be difficult to separate papers at times, but there has to be a better way! I know there is because I never lick my fingers to separate papers.

2. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Just another indication that as a society, we are becoming too clean

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Years ago, my fifth grade teacher would lick her fingers before handing out every paper, which there were numerous since she was a ditto queen. It totally grossed me out. Whenever I see someone lick their fingers I think of her now (and she was not a pretty sight)...she has scarred me for life.

J

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I don't mind handling the paper because I can usually touch the part that isn't wet. Now one thing I can't stand...when I see double-dipping on the chips and salsa. [​IMG]

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Most places now that deal with a lot of paper(post office, etc...) will have a little sponge in a dish type contraption so that the clerk can moisten their fingers without licking them.

6. Rollie

Rollie Stunt Coordinator

Yes, Yes, It's not just me! BWAHAHAHAHA!!! [​IMG]
    Seriously though, this has grossed me out since I was a kid. I think I can also attribute it to a frightening Elementary school teacher who thought her assignments were finger lickin' good.
    Come on, it doesn't take that much effort to seperate the paper. I've never "licked" before and I have no problem sorting out paperwork.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    yes, I hate this too. when an ex-colleague left, I "inherited" some of his files of uncompleted matters. I knew he had this habit, since I'd seen him lick before flipping pages before.
    I could literally "feel" the stickyness on the pages at the parts where one typically turns pages, i.e. the lower right corner (since the papers were filed in cardboard files with holes punched along the left margin). ugh. so when dealing with those files, I have to handle them differently just to avoid that nasty stickyness. [​IMG]

8. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

The worst is when people put money in their mouth's (almost always women due to bags I assume) while digging through their purse looking for something else.... Just so damn gross...

9. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Just put some arsenic on the corners of the pages. Then when they lick their fingers to turn the pages, they will eventually die. Have Sean Connery come to investigate. If it looks like he's figuring it out, burn the place to the ground.

10. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

This isn't nearly as bad as people who lick their fingers while sharing a common bowl of food, eg, popcorn. Hey, I'll admit to being a finger licker when eating certain foods, but I only do it if I've got my very own personal helping.

A buddy of mine is really bad about this. Doesn't matter what he's eating or who he's sharing it with - after every bite, he's licking his fingers, sometimes his whole hand. Any time we make anything to eat, I get him his own bowl so he can lick to his heart's content.

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Hmmm I wonder if there is a technical name for this... salivaphobia?
    It doesn't bother me, in fact I never thought about it until I looked at this thread.
    I wonder how some of you feel about your girlfriend sticking her tongue in your mouth? [eeeeeee its wet and slimy, keep it away, keep it away!!][​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

If you carry paper currency around, a little spit on a piece of paper shouldn't bother you.

13. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

I think we've hit a new high (or is that low?) in anal retentiveness.

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It doesn't bother me the slightest. I lick my fingers in the same situation (separating papers) all the time, because my fingers tend to be very dry, which makes it hard to separate papers otherwise. I only do a quick lick on the tip of my finger though, just enough to get it a little moist.

I don't care about other people double-dipping, licking fingers when eating or sharing bottles with me either, but I don't do it out of respect for others. If I do double-dip, I always make sure that the second dip is with a part of the chip or cracker that hasn't been touched by me. Of course, some people might not notice this and think I'm dipping the part I had in my mouth.

15. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I also dont see what the big deal is with putting a slight bit of moisture on your finger to help with seperating papers. If you do a lot of paper seperating they make stuff like SortKwik (a almost slight glue) to help with seperating and lasts longer then the sponge and water.

I thought that I remembered reading somewhere about our overuse of Antibacterial soaps, sprays, etc has actually weakened our immune systems... Has anyone else heard this?

16. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Worrying about people licking their fingers and handling paper is missing the larger picture. There are bacteria everywhere and a small exposure to it is helpful in keeping the immune response active.

There is a simple solution however. Wash your hands before eating or touching your mouth, eyes, nose, or other mucus membranes. (Just like your mother used to tell you.) You do not need antibacterial soap - plain soap is just fine for those of us who are not in the medical field.

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

18. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I have always thought that habit was gross.

For the people who aren't bothered: What would you think if someone moistened their fingertip by sticking it in their nose? Is that still no big deal? To me, it's not much different.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I guess I am not surprised that this subject has gotten mixed feedback. After all, it's not like just one person in the world licks his or her fingers when separating papers. It's a rather common habit. It's also a disgusting one. Sorry, just my opinion.

20. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

cough-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-cough