What's new

A pet peeve about movie trailers (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I used to have a different issue with movie trailers, which was that every other one was narrated by Don LaFontaine with that breathy, ominous voice ("in a world...). I had nothing against the man personally, and I'm sorry he died, but I do not miss that voice one bit.

Now, I have a new issue: the quick fade-outs and fade-ins between tiny snippets of action "thrills," the speed of which escalate until they really give me a headache -- they become almost strobe-like. If you are in a theater sitting through six trailers and three of them use this fade crap, it's sensory overload, especially when every tiny cut is accompanied by its own musical "stab" or a "whoosh" or whatever is on those DTS tracks, forced on us at volume levels that way-y-y exceed reference..

I thought this technique was interesting when it was first used, as an alternative to regular direct cuts, but it grew old really fast, and it seems like every other movie trailer now employs it (at least, the action trailers do). Monkey see, monkey do!

Enough already, Hollywood! I know you've lost almost any interest in being original, but how about not having your trailer companies turn out these carbon-copy train-wreck trailers, and encourage them to spend their time creating the kind of wonderful mini-movies (sans spoilers) that you used to.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think a bigger issue with the modern trailer is they give too much away.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A lot of concert videos are shot that way too. Imagine trying to sit through two hours of it!Foxy's right as well.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
FoxyMulder said:
I think a bigger issue with the modern trailer is they give too much away.
I don't think is anything really all that new. A lot of old trailers gave away a ton as well. People just didn't have access to them to watch multiple times like they do now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
They need to get the folks who do the "Mad Men" previews for the next episode to do movie trailers. It'd be hilarious!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I agree with Foxy here. THE CALL trailer pretty much gives away all three "twists" in the film so when you're watching the film you already know what's going to happen. I haven't watched SAFE HAVEN or THE VOW but both of those trailers appeared to give away the start, middle and end of the films. I mentioned it in another thread but the upcoming CARRIE film has a trailer giving pretty much everything away.

If it's a film I'm DYING to see I usually just turn my head away or close my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks