What's new

A PEEK AT THE PARALLAX VIEW (2 Viewers)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I first saw The Parallax View at a sneak preview at the Village Theater in Westwood. I loved it, actually, despite some weird tonal shifts in the first forty-five minutes. The audience was so-so on it, but when it came out a month later I saw it about six more times. This film has never looked very good on home video - milky contrast that played havoc with Gordon Willis's brilliant and dark photography, and slightly dull and brown color. So, to cut to the chase, this new transfer is spectacular. Perfect color (no, dear Beaver, it has no ubiquitous "blue leaning" and you really ought to retire that silly phrase and then learn about color) and I do mean PERFECT color, and the contrast is amazing. Dark as can be when that's what's called for, but also bright and shiny when that's what's called for (the entire opening sequence, which looked as clean and beautiful as the day I first saw it). Couldn't be happier and I still love the film and the cast and Michael Small's wonderful score.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Maybe WB will license All the President’s Men to Criterion so they can release a new transfer. Gordon Willis gave an interview soon after the original blu-ray release and wasn’t happy with the transfer. Said WB did not ask for his input and that some color was a bit off.

I believe it was something to do with the look of the office sequences chair colors. I wish I could recall where I read this all those years ago.

And maybe restore the original WB opening logo to the film. The updated logo into the films intro with the, You must remember this cue is jarring.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Maybe WB will license All the President’s Men to Criterion so they can release a new transfer. Gordon Willis gave an interview soon after the original blu-ray release and wasn’t happy with the transfer. Said WB did not ask for his input and that some color was a bit off.

I believe it was something to do with the look of the office sequences chair colors. I wish I could recall where I read this all those years ago.

And maybe restore the original WB opening logo to the film. The updated logo into the films intro with the, You must remember this cue is jarring.

I despise the "new" WB logo, which isn't new anymore by a long shot. Those goddamn clouds and golden chrome letters were okay for about a month. But at the head of the film proper, and after something like ten years, time to go back to the original Warner Bros shield logos as seen in the original films, or the Saul Bass design where appropriate (WAC has been including these, thankfully). I never want to see that "You Must Remember This" logo again (but I will, many more times). We know these are being released by Warner Bros, because that cloud logo is the first thing we see when every one of their discs is loaded. Why do we also have to have these awful high-tech graphics tacked on to the head of their classic movies, ahead of the intended openings? Kinda sucks a bit of the initial atmosphere out, I think.

I'd also be delighted with a remaster of ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN. With the Saul Bass logo! It has become rather timely all over again, no?

Back to the OP...THE PARALLAX VIEW is one of a handful of truly potent political thrillers. So glad to read Bruce's effusive recommendation. Pakula died way-y too young.

Last edited:

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I first saw The Parallax View at a sneak preview at the Village Theater in Westwood. I loved it, actually, despite some weird tonal shifts in the first forty-five minutes. The audience...............
The BLURAY is wonderful with excellent picture and sound quality ..10/10++++
The DVD released many moons ago was poor and looked washed out and blurred at times.
The film is first class and as a political thriller it would not surprise me one bit if things in the movie were not happening today. Everyone in authoritative positions seem to be on the take in some form or another.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Thank you for the glowing recommendation. I’ve been waiting for this one a long time. I love the film but was unhappy with the dvd release and let it go years ago.
I too would enjoy a Criterion release of All the Presidents Men with the original Saul Bass WB logo. That still one of my favorites of WBs.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Here you go:

“it’s all f***ed up…all the medium tones [are wrong] and contrast is way higher than it oughta be….it’s overloaded.”

I wish it were from a less problematic source, but as far as I can tell this is where the story originated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks