1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A PEEK AT THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by haineshisway, Nov 8, 2019 at 3:38 AM.

1. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I never saw The Fearless Vampire Killers when it came out, because I heard it had been mangled by the idiot running MGM back then, who mangled any number of films. I think the first time I saw it was in 16mm somewhere and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't a favorite Polanski of mine. I admired the look of it, it was beautifully directed, had great photography, and a great score, and the actors were all good. And it had several gorgeous sequences. But, for me, it never quite gelled into a whole.

Then I had the DVD, of course, and that thing was an ugly brown mess that rendered the film into a nothingness. When the French Blu-ray came out I bought it instantly. While the detail was reasonably good, once again the color was lifeless and brown and it was too annoying to even watch, and of course the English subtitles were forced. I had high hopes when Warner Archive announced this, and placed an immediate pre-order. It arrived yesterday and I took a gander at it.

I'm happy to say my high hopes were not only met but exceeded. This is a wonderful transfer and, at long last, it has perfect color instead of everything leaning to flat and brown. Skin tones are finally correct, blues and reds are finally correct, and the whole thing has great detail and contrast. So far, I'm enjoying it in a way I haven't before. And that's a good thing. Anxious to hear what others think, but I doubt this film, knowing what MGM prints looked like back then, ever looked quite this good.

Mark-W, Will Krupp, bgart13 and 8 others like this.
  2. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Thank you for that. The film is not my kind of movie and I've never bought any previous incarnation. Because this is a Warner Archive Blu-ray disc, I was considering buying it but remained hesitant. Now, I'll take the plunge.

3. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    This looks nice. It is a definite improvement over the import, which I have just sold (and btw, region B Blu-rays fetch very minimal amounts on eBay). This film continues to grow on me very slowly. Polanski wasn't known for slapstick farce comedy, and his other attempt at it (PIRATES) was a disaster. He is, however, good with incorporating humor into what would otherwise by straight horror and drama (CUL DE SAC, ROSEMARY'S BABY), and this film benefits from that skill. The WAC transfer is, as Bruce states, quite good at long last. It's the look of it more so than the script or acting that makes it a film to own.

Mark-W likes this.
  4. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    I think my DVD will suffice on this title. Upscaled to 4K and it being a damn good print in DVD, it's a no brainer!!!

5. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Well, if you don't mind lousy and incorrect and faded color, good!

6. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I have had a VHS, Laser disc, and a DVD of this weird funny film. Bruce, I agree with you that this film is the best presentation so far. It’s like looking at an entirely different film.

haineshisway and Will Krupp like this.