What's new

A PEEK AT PEYTON PLACE AND MORE (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
My understanding of it is, as Billy Batson says, the DVD audio is NTSC 29.97 (which I think is 23.976 fps), and same on the blu ray. The audio is synchronized to the video and both are referenced or locked to a common video signal. Video can alternately run at 24 fps frame rate but does not change speed which would affect sync if it did!

But 29.97 (for all intents and purposes, 30fps) is a frame rate and I don't think digital audio is really tied to a video frame rate even though I clumsily said as much in my earlier post. After all, both 24fps and 30fps still last a second :)

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
But 29.97 (for all intents and purposes, 30fps) is a frame rate and I don't think digital audio is really tied to a video frame rate even though I clumsily said as much in my earlier post. After all, both 24fps and 30fps still last a second :)

About 20 years ago I telecined a TV film in NTSC (in London) & then it was just a case of laying down the sound from DAT tape, the sound was 24fps. Well it started out okay, but looked a bit loose a few minutes in, 5 minutes in it was out of sync & getting worse all the time, we were all scratching our heads (NTSC was a bit of a mystery), & then the penny dropped, the NTSC Digibeta wasn't true 24fps, almost, but not quite. Anyway, we solved it by slaving the DAT to a NTSC time code. Of course the reason for these posts is to ask, if they have a stereo track on DVD, why can't we have that same track on a Blu-ray, even as a second track.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
. Of course the reason for these posts is to ask, if they have a stereo track on DVD, why can't we have that same track on a Blu-ray, even as a second track.

In the other PEYTON PLACE thread started by Robert Harris, Stephen Pickard has confirmed that the TT Blu-ray does contain the original 4 track soundtrack as on the DVD, represented in 5.1.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
In the other PEYTON PLACE thread started by Robert Harris, Stephen Pickard has confirmed that the TT Blu-ray does contain the original 4 track soundtrack as on the DVD, represented in 5.1.

Ah, good (mind you, I'll never see it as I've no interest in the film), but as I said a few posts back, a set of headphones plugged in somewhere would clear up a lot of doubt in these cases. I did see a review of 23 Paces To Baker Street saying it had mono sound, I thought I'd read another review saying it was stereo, I dunno. One title that does puzzle me is Taras Bulba (I did mention it), stereo DVD mono Blu-ray, but that's MGM, so anything is possible.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ah, good (mind you, I'll never see it as I've no interest in the film), but as I said a few posts back, a set of headphones plugged in somewhere would clear up a lot of doubt in these cases. I did see a review of 23 Paces To Baker Street saying it had mono sound, I thought I'd read another review saying it was stereo, I dunno. One title that does puzzle me is Taras Bulba (I did mention it), stereo DVD mono Blu-ray, but that's MGM, so anything is possible.

The Kino Lorber "23 Paces to Baker Street" which I have is true stereo with very mild directional dialogue. It's certainly frustrating when reviewers on websites so often get these things wrong - certainly in many cases it only becomes clear (no pun intended) when listening through headphones. Like you, I have no interest in the soap-operish "Peyton Place" so won't be checking it out for myself. As for "Tara Bulba" I can only assume the omission of the stereo track on the Blu-ray was an error on the part of MGM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks