What's new

A PEEK AT MIDNIGHT COWBOY (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
As others have mentioned - watch the featurette with the cameraman. He and the director did not want natural colors for certain sequences. But, let me guess - you've never actually seen this film in a theater. Your preference is your preference and has nothing to do with what the filmmakers' preferences were. But one simply cannot go beating one's head against a brick wall without one's brains falling out on the floor. :)

Fuck the filmmaker's preferences - if they're wrong. If a print can be improved upon, more power to the revised version. The Criterion Blu's print of MC is better than any other version of the film. That being said, as I mentioned above I did have some issues with the Criterion version - though I felt it looked better than the MGM Blu. A perfect print of the film would be a combination of both versions - but, that's just me.

And, no - I haven't seen MC in the theater. I wasn't alive when it first hit theaters, and I haven't been aware of any theatrical showings at any point. And, I apologize profusely for never having seen this film in the theater - I hope this doesn't offend anyone!!! But, if so - tough!!!! Ha ha ha ;)

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Fuck the filmmaker's preferences - if they're wrong. If a print can be improved upon, more power to the revised version. The Criterion Blu's print of MC is better than any other version of the film. That being said, as I mentioned above I did have some issues with the Criterion version - though I felt it looked better than the MGM Blu. A perfect print of the film would be a combination of both versions - but, that's just me.

And, no - I haven't seen MC in the theater. I wasn't alive when it first hit theaters, and I haven't been aware of any theatrical showings at any point. And, I apologize profusely for never having seen this film in the theater - I hope this doesn't offend anyone!!! But, if so - tough!!!! Ha ha ha ;)

I saw MIDNIGHT COWBOY in the cinema when it was first released-It ran for almost a year at the same cinema where I live. It was a huge success.Truly a masterpiece and what an ending-unforgettable.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

You need to see it in a theatre. It’s a great experience to see what the Director wished you to feel.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
As I said, I don't feel that ANY current print of MC is beyond reproach. I don't like the "teal push" on the Criterion Blu, though - again - the film does - overall - look far better than the MGM Blu. Sometimes doing an excessive amount of tinkering on a film can mar this.

Do any of the current Blu/DVD prints of MC look exactly like the film appeared when it was first shown theatrically back in 1969?! I have no idea, given that I never saw the film that way. If you were around & saw the film when it first came out - it's been over 50 years. Can anyone definitively say that they remember precisely how the film looked at that time?!

I'm a huge fan of this film, as can be seen from my various posts on this board. And, I can agree to disagree with everyone on here, which is fine.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
There is no teal push, the color was approved by Mr. Schlesinger and his cameraman. Since you never saw the film during its original run, you have NO point of reference other than video releases, so you can agree to disagree all you like, but you're not speaking from a position of knowledge about a film you love. If you love it, you should honor what the cameraman and director intended.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
With all due respect, Bruce, John Schlesinger died in 2003, so I doubt that he approved the current Criterion transfer ;)
I believe Adam Holender, the cinematographer, supervised the creation of the master and also as I recall, narrated an extra on the Criterion disc about the specific kind of lighting and color in the film, how it was achieved, and why Schlesinger, aesthetically and philosophically, wanted the color to look that way. Again, as I recall, he's very detail-oriented in talking about the color grading and why certain scenes don't look "naturalistic or perfect" as this is what Schlesinger wanted. So in a way, though Schlesinger died in 2003, he did approve the transfer through Adam Holender's supervision.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
With all due respect, Bruce, John Schlesinger died in 2003, so I doubt that he approved the current Criterion transfer ;)

With all due respect, I know when Mr. Schlesinger died - he approved this grading for a print made in the 1990s - that's what this color timing was based on, supervised by Mr. Holander.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I believe Adam Holender, the cinematographer, supervised the creation of the master and also as I recall, narrated an extra on the Criterion disc about the specific kind of lighting and color in the film, how it was achieved, and why Schlesinger, aesthetically and philosophically, wanted the color to look that way. Again, as I recall, he's very detail-oriented in talking about the color grading and why certain scenes don't look "naturalistic or perfect" as this is what Schlesinger wanted. So in a way, though Schlesinger died in 2003, he did approve the transfer through Adam Holender's supervision.

Well, someone would have to actually watch that extra. Holander is very clear about everything. He shot the film, he knows what he and the director wanted. The End.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those that might not be aware, profanity to a certain extent is allowed in posts. Not so, in thread titles nor would we allow a post that is nothing more than a profanity filled rant. We have our limits in regard to profanity.

Another thing that is not allowed are personal attacks towards another poster. Comments like "crass stupidity displayed" towards another poster is viewed as a personal attack which is why that particular post has been deleted.

If you have an issue with a post then report it and the moderator staff will determine if it violates our posting guidelines. If you're personally attacked, do not engage, please report it and the moderator staff will deal with the situation.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
For those that might not be aware, profanity to a certain extent is allowed in posts. Not so, in thread titles nor would we allow a post that is nothing more than a profanity filled rant. We have our limits in regard to profanity.

Another thing that is not allowed are personal attacks towards another poster. Comments like "crass stupidity displayed" towards another poster is viewed as a personal attack which is why that particular post has been deleted.

If you have an issue with a post then report it and the moderator staff will determine if it violates our posting guidelines. If you're personally attacked, do not engage, please report it and the moderator staff will deal with the situation.

Be that as it may...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.