1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A PEEK AT FLOWER DRUM SONG

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by haineshisway, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Message #121 of 126 Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    And yet, Mr. Hwang wasn't incensed that Miss Umeki played her character - funny that. And you can't have it all ways from Tuesday. If you're incensed about her casting then it follows you must be incensed about Ms. Salonga, Mr. Chakiris, Ms. Wood, Mr. Brynner... Mr. Hwang was asked to rewrite it, and he took a different road, which was what he felt like doing. The original took its road - to be a - now, wait for it - popular musical comedy of its era. And it was. And it ran FAR longer than Mr. Hwang's more serious version, although there were many criticisms that HE was making it stereotypical, too, just in a different way. But clearly you have your sense of what's what and I, and others, have ours and are able to understand the context of when the show was written and when it takes place and the novel it's based upon. As Mr. Hammerstein said so very well in another show: We've gone about as fer as we can go.

ahollis, JohnMor and PMF like this.
  2. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Bruce, I noticed that the soundtrack cd released on Verve about 20 years ago is out of print now and fetching between $25 and $100 on Amazon. Any chance Kritzerland would be interested and/or able to re-issue it?

The OBC and the redux both remain in print but it’s a shame the soundtrack isn’t.

ahollis and PMF like this.
  3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    And the soundtrack LP was one of my most frequently played musicals as a pre-teen.

4. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    The Broadway cast recording was one of my first stereo records. I still play it and love the scratch I put into it.

I recorded the film soundtrack from the 4-track magnetic mixed into 2 channels when it played the theatre I worked at.

5. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I wish! Universal has been impossible for us - but I'm hoping that might change. I'd love to put it out.

6. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I do hope it changes. You do such an excellent job with past releases and the extras on your CD releases are wonderful.

haineshisway, PMF and JohnMor like this.