What's new

A PEEK AT DOCTOR DOLITTLE (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Back to the subject, Doctor Dolittle may be Richard Fleischer's worst film. He was a good director, but this film doesn't show it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Back to the subject, Doctor Dolittle may be Richard Fleischer's worst film. He was a good director, but this film doesn't show it.
As a kid I thought it was an awful film and couldn't wait to leave the movie theater and walk back home in the cold as it was wintertime and was playing at my neighborhood movie theater. I revisited once as an adult and it was still terrible.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Without looking up any other movies he did I will say that at least Red Sonja was worse.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Perhaps "Doctor Dolittle" required a longer period of development; as had "Mary Poppins", which was years in the works.
Nonetheless, "Doctor Dolittle" had its heart in the right place.
No doubt, the film as a whole is a weave of perfection meeting imperfections; but I give it its due on many fronts;
as have those who led the way to seeing this 70mm production placed within the hands of Fotokem and TT.
There is a greater good in this film than not; and not every film could possibly be an ultra-classic.
I'll take the sum of a "Doctor Dolittle" and its parts over a multitude of other films, any old day.

Last edited:

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
All of the musicals in this period suffered from being over long. Even Mary Poppins had sequences (Ed Wynn) that were completely superfluous and stopped the story dead in its tracks. There aren't many three hour musicals that I think really justify the length.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Perhaps I am not discriminating enough, but if they sing on the screen I probably like it. I grew up during the roadshow era and among my favorite memories is seeing films like Doctor Dolittle. Even as a kid I liked the longer movies because I was always so sad when they were over. Bring on the 3-hour roadshows! I even refused to exit until the Exit Music was over (and that was before the ushers started cleaning up during the credits like they do now). I am thrilled for this release and will relish every moment of it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
All of the musicals in this period suffered from being over long. Even Mary Poppins had sequences (Ed Wynn) that were completely superfluous and stopped the story dead in its tracks. There aren't many three hour musicals that I think really justify the length.
When one doesn't have a spoonful of sugar handy, the alternate form of medicine is laughter. For the themes of "Mary Poppins", I feel that the Uncle Albert character was integral. Adding further, Ed Wynn's performance was a wonderful, infectious gem filled with charm and delight. Don't forget that the jokes and laughter exchanged between Bert and Uncle Albert were so infectious that they permeated right into the stuffy lives of Dawes, his son and the bank's Board of Directors; in a finale scene where everyone's outlook had changed and all for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks