Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
BTW, it was the egg that came first; as the chicken, itself, is a hybird of two other species.
I didn't look it up. And I don't need to, either. I just feel it in my bones.:D
But with six
Eggroll.jpg
You can see the eggroll ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Lucille Ball doing Yours, Mine and Ours, which she was genuinely good in, probably helped her get Mame.

Had the film not been successful there would have been no Brady Bunch ... but Schwartz had the idea before YMAO came out

It also might not have happened had Lucy not sold Desilu to Paramount. The film/TV connections finally came full circle in the 1990s when Tim Matheson was cast in A Very Brady Sequel.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Lucille Ball doing Yours, Mine and Ours, which she was genuinely good in, probably helped her get Mame.
From Mame to maimed, if you read all of the reviews.
Chapter Title for a Ball Biography: With Saks You Get Egg Role.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
From Mame to maimed, if you read all of the reviews.
Chapter Title for a Ball Biography: With Saks You Get Egg Role.

Now you are just blowing your own horn ;)
8024bbc6a9621759c982ca81832583fd--desi-arnaz-mame.jpg

It also might not have happened had Lucy not sold Desilu to Paramount.
Technically she sold it to Gulf +Western and they also bought Paramount

Star Trek (along with Mission: Impossible & Mannix) was created so that Desilu could be sold at a higher price ... NBC would not have greenlit ST if it hadn't been for CBS getting good numbers on Lost In Space .. which was shot at FOX ... Along with Doctor Doolittle ...
51EYZhLTcYL._SX342_.jpg
:cool:

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Matthew Mugg:
"This is the world of Doctor Dolittle...":D

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
This is quite unbelievable but so is the long runtime of The Greatest Story Ever Told - the LA Cinerama Dome must attract a very special sort of people!

The Greatest Story Ever Told also had 43 weeks at the Warner Cinerama in NYC.

I'm sure that Song of Norway didn't play that long at the Warner Cinerama in NYC where I saw it.

Song of Norway world premiere was at the Warner on November 4. I don't know how long it played there.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think Mame must have been an embarrassment to WB; I don't remember any trailers, any movie spots--nothing. I didn't even know it had existed until many years later.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think Mame must have been an embarrassment to WB; I don't remember any trailers, any movie spots--nothing. I didn't even know it had existed until many years later.
Heavily promoted on Here's Lucy where Lucy met Lucille Ball ...
562039_113.jpg

I actually saw it in the theatre having never seen the non-musical Rosalind Russell version - for me it was just long ...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I saw the trailer to "Mame". I also saw the film, thereafter. And believe me, the trailer was much better.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I saw the trailer to "Mame". I also saw the film, thereafter. And believe me, the trailer was much better.
Better, as in shorter? ;)

Kidding aside (?), I still remember reading about MAME in the liner notes of my brother's copy of the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT double LP set back in the late '70s. To that, he said something along of the lines of the film not being all that good.

CHEERS! :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Heavily promoted on Here's Lucy where Lucy met Lucy ...
Better, as in shorter? ;)

Kidding aside (?), I still remember reading about MAME in the liner notes of my brother's copy of the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT double LP set back in the late '70s. To that, he said something along of the lines of the film not being all that good.

When she was a Goldwyn Girl I'm sure Ms. Ball had a lovely singing voice ... unfortunately for her I believe Mame was written for a Contralto and not a Baritone ... :oops:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
When she was a Goldwyn Girl I'm sure Ms. Ball had a lovely singing voice ... unfortunately for her I believe Mame was written for a Contralto and not a Baritone ... :oops:
Whether MAME (1974) had been written for a baritone or a contralto didn't really matter, as I believe that Ms. Ball's "Singing" voice was dubbed (Which was then a very common practice in Hollywood Musicals!), even as a Goldwyn Girl. Of course, on I LOVE LUCY, it was Lucy's own badly shrieking voice that was often used to great comedic effect, whenever she tried to get into one of Ricky's shows, which was seemingly every other episode!

Regardless, casting Ms. Ball for the lead in MAME was clearly a severe misfire! :P

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Whether MAME (1974) had been written for a baritone or a contralto didn't really matter, as I believe that Ms. Ball's "Singing" voice was dubbed (Which was then a very common practice in Hollywood Musicals!), even as a Goldwyn Girl. Of course, on I LOVE LUCY, it was Lucy's own badly shrieking voice that was often used to great comedic effect, whenever she tried to get into one of Ricky's shows, which was seemingly every other episode!

Regardless, casting Ms. Ball for the lead in MAME was clearly a severe misfire! :P

Per the ALWAYS ACCURATE ;) IMdb
It was originally planned to have Lucille Ball's singing voice dubbed if her vocals were not good enough to use in the film. Alternate vocals were rumored to have been recorded by Lisa Kirk, but at any rate Ball intervened and her vocals (a point of contention for many critics) were ultimately used.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Dubarry Was a Lady featured Martha Mears singing all of Lucy's numbers except the climactic "Friendship." Ms. Mears, a very talented singer, sounded nothing like Lucille Ball, so it's one of the absolute worst uses of a voice double in any major Hollywood movie, made even more ludicrous when Lucy does her own singing in the last number where we can hear clearly what she REALLY sounds like when singing: barely able to carry a tune and with no sustain, a very untrained voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks