1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

A peculiar money question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoshi Sugawara, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

My g/f just had her 50 Euro bill partially ripped by a dog. She still has 3/4 of it...is it still exchangable? I've heard that as long as you have at least half of a bill (for US dollars) it's worth the full amount...?

2. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

um...take it to the bank and see?

no matter what anyone here tells you if the bank won't take it, it doesn't matter.

i've heard 2/3 tho

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Did the dog eat her homework, too? [​IMG]

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

With Canadian money, there is the Serial number that identifies the bill on both the left and right hand side of the bill, both of these numbers have to be rpesent to make the bill legal tender.

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

And I've heard anything over 1/2. Given that you've got 3/4, and that beats all of the guesses listed here, sounds like you've got a good chance to redeem/exchange the euros.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

For US money, as long as the serial number can be pieced together enough to assure its uniqueness, the bill is worth the full amount.
    I watched some documentary on money on tv a few years back about it. There was this really old woman who had tons of cash stashed in her house. She was really bored and decided, with scissors, to cut all her money up. We're not talking about a few pieces, we're talking ALL of it, each bill into a bunch of little pieces! It looked just like confetti! Aparently one day she decided to cash the money in so she hired some guys to sort through it and piece all of back together. It took them several years to do it, but when they were done they discovered this woman and an incredibly large amount. I don't remember the sum now, but it was aproaching a million dollars. The bank accepted the money and gave her the full worth of the bills! [​IMG]

7. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

From the U.S. Treasury website I saw a documentary once where someone had a shoebox of bills that was burned. As long as they believe all of the bills are there, the US Treasury will exchange whatever you've got for new bills as long as they can verify the number of unique bills that you had. So even if you've got 15 of the upper right corners of $20 bills, they will give you $300. I believe that the Treasury will sort through your debris for free.

8. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Denward, I'm sure the information from the treasury site is accurate, but I dont know if your extrapolation would work. Look at it this way. What if I ripped a bunch of $20 bill into 1/3 and 2/3. Then took the two thirds and said that the bills were ripped (making up a viable story) and got new $20s. Then take the 1/3 and burn them partially and mix them with the ashes of fully burned $1 bills. I could easily profit from such a scam.

9. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Charles,
    I'm not sure you could easily profit from such a scheme. You do have to turn over all of the debris to the Treasury Department and they will sort through it. If they find your claim to be fraudulent, I'm sure the penalties are quite severe and I'm sure they have ways of confirming the validity of the debris.